HK on alert over restaurant outbreaks, a test for the "LeaveHomeSafe” appHong Kong | 25 Feb 2021 12:07 pm
A health expert said Hong Kong is on alert over restaurant outbreaks, as health officials confirmed yesterday that six people who contracted Covid have visited the same eatery in Tsim Sha Tsui last week, he also said it is time to put the “LeaveHomeSafe” app to the test.
Ho Pak-leung, the head of the University of Hong Kong's Centre for Infection, urged authorities to take immediate actions to stop ongoing transmissions stemmed from the recent restaurant outbreak.
“Patients who visited the Tsim Sha Tsui restaurant have been roaming around the city for one to three days before they were diagnosed, the government should take immediate actions to stop any possible transmissions,” he said.
He suggested that it is time to put the “LeaveHomeSafe” app to the test, alerting those who have been to the same premises with the patients, and use the information provided by customers at the restaurants to contact them, reminding them to get tested.
“If authorities can make use of the contact tracing app to contain the outbreak, it will be much more effective than the overnight lockdowns. However, if the app has no use at all, people will lose confidence in it,” he added.
Health officials yesterday said a patient with unknown source of infection has visited the Mr. Ming's Chinese Dining in K11 Musea in Tsim Sha Tsui on February 18, while five other preliminary positive cases have visited a day later.