DOJ intervenes and halts Raymond Chan’s private prosecution

Local | 6 Nov 2020 7:12 pm

Former lawmaker Raymond Chan Chi-chuen says he has been informed that Secretary for Justice Teresa Cheng Yeuk-wah has intervened in his private prosecution against pro-Beijing lawmaker Kwok Wai-keung and is moving to put a stop to his case.

On his Facebook page, Chan said he was notified of the decision by the Department of Justice today afternoon.

Chan posted the image of a letter signed by Senior Assistant Director of Public Prosecutions Anthony Chau, addressing to the West Kowloon Magistracy.

It asks the court to arrange a hearing on November 9, where the prosecution will “offer no evidence to the summons” against Kwok.

Chan launched the lawsuit in May, following what he said was inaction on the part of the police.

The former lawmaker said in the Facebook post that the Department of Justice had no reason to let Kwok “walk free”, adding that he would consult his lawyer to see what options remain.

Live video footage captured the moment when Kwok, from the Federation of Trade Unions, dragged Chan through a conference room and to the floor as the rival camps clashed during a struggle for control of a House Committee meeting on May 8.

Chan, from People Power, went to the hospital and said doctors told him he had suffered a slipped disk as a result of the incident.

He left Legco last month alongside Chu Hoi-dick, with the two men saying the council's 12-month extended term due to the scrapping of September's elections lacked legitimacy.

In August, Cheng twice exercised her authority to take control of private prosecutions initiated by Democratic Party lawmaker Ted Hui.

Hui had been prosecuting a taxi driver whose vehicle plowed into a group of protesters in Sham Shui Po last year, as well as a police officer who shot and seriously injured a young protester in Sai Wan Ho.-RTHK/The Standard, Video: Truth Media HK

Search Archive

Advanced Search
November 2020
S M T W T F S

Today's Standard