Tuen Mun primary student infected, school halts activitiesLocal | 16 Sep 2020 1:35 pm
A primary school pupil has tested positive for the coronavirus, forcing his school in Tuen Mun to cancel activities on campus ahead of the resumption of face-to-face classes next week, RTHK reports.
But the Education Bureau said there was no need to shut down the school for 14 days.
From Wednesday, schools could allow up to one-sixth of their students to return for half-day activities before classes resume in phases from September 23.
Some pupils had been back at school even earlier than that.
A 10-year-old pupil was among a group with special needs who had returned to FDBWA Chow Chin Yau School in Tuen Mun. The student was last at the school on Friday before he fell ill the next day and tested positive for coronavirus.
That prompted the school to cancel campus activities due to start on Wednesday. But class resumption for Primary One, Five and Six children will begin next week as scheduled.
The school said about 30 students had returned to the campus each day before Wednesday, and the entire school has more than 600 students, so most of them were not in contact with the infected pupil.
The school also said it proposed a 14-day suspension to play it safe, but was told by the Education Bureau that it was not necessary.
Students were told they could opt for self-isolation as well as online learning.
The school also said testing has been arranged for staff members who had contact with the 10-year-old. All other staff will be tested this week.
The school is also disinfecting its campus as a precaution.-Photo: RTHK