Covid-19 death toll rises to 29 after two more elderly patients die

Local | 1 Aug 2020 3:01 pm

Sources say Hong Kong is expected to see more than 100 new Covid-19 cases today, marking the 11th day in a row with triple-digit increases. 
The death toll has risen to 29 after two more cases died overnight. One was a 79-year-old man admitted to Queen Elizabeth Hospital on Monday with a cough, he died at 11.44pm yesterday night. He lived in Tsz Man Estate at the pandemic-hit Tsz Wan Shan. 
The other patient was an 89-year-old woman, who was also a resident at Cornwall Elderly’s Home (Golden Branch) in Tuen Mun. She was sent to Tuen Mun Hospital last Sunday with a fever, and succumbed to the disease at 12.02am this morning. 
At least 37 were infected in linkage with the elderly care home in Tuen Mun, and so far two residents had died. 
The city’s infection tally stood at 3,272, which included 29 deaths. 
Meanwhile, Chief Executive Carrie Lam Cheng Yuet-ngor said she regretted imposing the short-lived legislation to ban dine-ins inside restaurants at lunchtime.
The regulation was scrapped two days after it took effect on Wednesday, following backlash from outdoor workers who had to eat on streets. 
In a radio program, the city’s chief admitted that she and her cabinet felt embarrassed for making an abrupt U-turn on the decision. 
“I admit we haven’t balanced well in considering public health, tolerance of the business sectors and public needs,” said Lam, “That led to the scenes that happened on July 29, the first day [the ban] came into effect. We are very sorry about that.”
Photos of workers resorted to having their lunch under the rain and heat on Wednesday had been widely circulated online, as the public condemned the government’s lack of considerations for many blue-collar or grass-roots workers, such as construction workers. 

Search Archive

Advanced Search
August 2020
S M T W T F S

Today's Standard



Yearly Magazine

Yearly Magazine