RTHK to be replaced by TVB in July 1 flag raising ceremonyLocal | 27 Jun 2020 5:43 pm
The government has dropped Radio Television Hong Kong (RTHK) from producing this year's July 1 flag raising ceremony and reception celebration, with commercial station TVB replacing instead.
The public broadcaster had been producing the event since 1997, said it would be producing a live feed of the proceedings for other media outlets this years.
It was the first time RTHK was excluded from the handover celebration in 23 years.
"RTHK was not invited to participate in the production of the flag raising ceremony and the reception on July 1, but we will provide the pool feed as usual," said station spokeswoman Amen Ng.
The government explained that the flag raising ceremony is part of the bigger series of events to commemorate the 30th anniversary since the promulgation of the Basic Law, and TVB has been chosen to the produce the series of programs.
A spokesperson from RTHK said it was informed of the arrangements by the Home Affairs on June 5.
It is learned that the decision was due to the broadcaster's “poor performance” in the previous year, as its coverage on the year-long arrest has sparked controversies.
Headliner, the station's satirical show, has been suspended under a number of warnings by the Communications Authority, following complaints about the way police officers were portrayed in the show.
The government decided to set up a team to review the station's governance and management in the wake of controversies.
Edward Yau Tang-wah, Secretary fo Commerce and Economic Development, slammed the public broadcaster for breaching the “one-China principle” after its reporters pressed a World Health Organization official on whether the body would include Taiwan as a member in April.
RTHK's editor-in-chief Leung Ka-wing denied breaching the “one country, two systems” governing principle, but has recently demanded the station to provide “positive” coverage of the impending national security law.