Black rainstorm drenches and floods roads

Local | 6 Jun 2020 12:16 pm

Heavy rain caused flooding and traffic chaos in parts of New Territories and Kowloon as the Hong Kong Observatory issued the first black rainstorm warning at 2.55 am this morning in three years. 
All rainstorm warnings have been canceled after hours of rain poured the city during the early hours today. 
The downpour, which lasted for more than five hours, fell generally over Hong Kong, exceeding 70 millimeters in an hour and was likely to continue. 
The black signal was in place for more than two hours later gave way to a red one at 5.40 am, before all warnings were withdrawn at 8 am. 
Between 1 am and 8 am, the Observatory recorded more than 30,000 lightning strikes. 
The storm had led to serious flooding in multiple districts and slowed traffic in a crawl. Some areas, including Tsing Yi, Kwai Chung and Sha Tin, accumulated more than 200 millimeters of rainfall.
The Transport Department said there was flooding along Kwun Tong Road and around the MTR station. Firefighters were called on to help at least one taxi driver out of their vehicle at around 5 am. Another taxi and a minibus also broke down on Kwun Tong Road outside Millennium City 5. 
Kwun Tong Road remains closed in the afternoon. During the closure, eastbound of the road was congested and the traffic queue ended at Lower Ngau Tau Kok Estate, affecting the bus and minibus frequency bypassing there. 
Separately, a security company's vehicle and a taxi stalled near Tsui Ping Road and Fuk Tong Road in Kwun Tong. The flood level reached 1 meter high and floated the cars, causing the security company's vehicle to hit the railings and a minibus's stop flag. 
On Hiram's Highway in Sai Kung, an ambulance broke down and several houses were affected by flooding.
In Tin Shui Wai, several village houses were flooded. Police and firefighters helped rescue two people who were trapped in one home.
Meanwhile, there was chaos in Kai Tak area as a firefighter vehicle rammed into a taxi at the junction of Wang Chiu Road and Sheung Yee Road in Kowloon Bay. Six people - four firefighters, the taxi driver and his passenger – were injured in the accident. 
At 4.45 am, the firefighter vehicle wast traveling Sheung Yee Road towards Wai Yip Street for a rescue mission amid the downpour when it crashed into the taxi which was moving along Wang Chiu Road towards Kwun Tong. The front of the taxi was severely damaged. 
The 57-year-old taxi driver was trapped inside his car and injured his head and neck when firefighter rescued him. He was conscious when sent to Queen Elizabeth Hospital. 
Four firefighters on the vehicle and the 44-year-old taxi passenger hurt their necks, waists and arms respectively and were treated in United Christian Hospital.

Search Archive

Advanced Search
July 2020

Today's Standard

Yearly Magazine

Yearly Magazine