Anyone leaving home quarantine told to call hotlinesLocal | 11 Feb 2020 1:34 pm
The Chief Executive Carrie Lam Cheng Yuet-ngor said today that people in home quarantine can give the authorities a call if they need to go out for some reason, RTHK reports.
Two people are still on the run after bailing out of their 14-day home quarantine.
Several others the authorities failed to reach claimed they were just sleeping at the time or had gone shopping.
Speaking ahead of the weekly Executive Council meeting, Lam warned that anyone who breaches the quarantine orders could face criminal liability, and she called on them to exercise self-discipline.
"I understand sometimes it’s a bit difficult to stay at home for a full two weeks, but they are doing a service to this fight against the virus by staying at home. I hope they are not those who deliberately refuse to comply," she said.
"If they need support and hence they need to go out, they could call our hotlines," she said.
Lam said the Home Affairs Department has hotlines people can call and the Social Welfare Department has more than a 100 people to provide services such as delivering meals and medicine.
"We will provide as much as possible facilitation to ensure that people comply with the quarantine order and stay at home," the CE said.
The new quarantine rules came into effect on Saturday, with anyone arriving from the mainland required to quarantine themselves for 14 days to reduce the risk of coronavirus outbreaks in the community.
So far, around 2,200 people has been placed in quarantine, most of them Hong Kong people.
Meanwhile, Lam also said there are no plans to order the closure of businesses such as karaoke bars and cinemas, although on Monday the government said it "strongly advised" such places to temporarily close.
"Hong Kong is a free society. I believe many of these operators are already taking very strong precautionary measures," Lam said.