No evidence the virus is spreading within the city, health officials say

Local | 27 Jan 2020 9:20 pm

Health officials say there has been no evidence showing human-to-human transmission of the new Wuhan virus in Hong Kong, even though authorities earlier warned that it has been found on the mainland. 

The SAR confirmed two new cases of the virus on Sunday night, taking the total to eight to date. All the infected patients have been quarantined at Princess Margaret Hospital’s infectious disease centre. 

The first case involves a 62-year-old female Hong Kong resident who lives in Shenzhen. 

The woman arrived in the city by crossing the border at Luohu port last Saturday and was admitted to North District Hospital for isolation on the same day, after having developed a fever and cough since January 21. 

According to the patient, she had visited family members in Wuhan from January 9 to 18 during the incubation period. 

The second case involves a 64-year-old male patient from Wuhan, who arrived by high-speed rail on January 19. He was placed in quarantine at the Lady MacLehose holiday camp in Sai Kung last Thursday, and was transferred to Tuen Mun Hospital for isolation after developing a fever last Friday night. 

Chung Kin-lai, director of the Hospital Authority, said on Monday that the condition of one of the eighth patients had become critical and could be moved into intensive care unit. 

Nevertheless, the other seven were all said to be in a stable condition. 

28 people who had been in close contact with the eight patients were isolated in Lady MacLehose. 

Chung added that eight out of the 10 medical personnel suspected to have contracted the virus had since tested negative. 

69 suspected cases of the virus were reported in Hong Kong over the past 24 hours, with three patients put in quarantine in hospital. 

 

Search Archive

Advanced Search
July 2020
S M T W T F S

Today's Standard



Yearly Magazine

Yearly Magazine