HK man's mega bridge arrest legal, says Matthew Cheung

Local | 17 Dec 2019 11:28 am

The acting Chief Executive Matthew Cheung Kin-chung says the arrest of a Hong Kong man by mainland officers on the cross-border bridge to Macau and Zhuhai last week was perfectly legal, RTHK reports.
The 53-year-old was detained on Friday while going through a checkpoint set up on the bridge, while travelling to Macau on a bus.
Cheung said the mainland was simply exercising its power of jurisdiction.
He said he also believed that the setting up of a mainland checkpoint on the bridge was temporary, and just part of security measures for the upcoming Macau handover anniversary.
"This is an operational matter on the part of mainland authorities so I'm not prepared to comment on it," he said.
"But it's perfectly justified for them to exercise jurisdiction within their own territory. It's entirely legal."
On Monday, the Guangdong Provincial Public Security Department confirmed that officers had detained a 53-year-old suspect on Friday, during a routine security inspection on buses using the bridge.
It said the man, being dealt with by Zhuhai officials, is believed to be the mastermind of a mobile phone smuggling syndicate, and had been on a wanted person list since 2012.
Security has been stepped up in Macau ahead of President Xi Jinping’s visit to the territory for its 20th handover anniversary.

Search Archive

Advanced Search
June 2020
S M T W T F S

Today's Standard



Yearly Magazine

Yearly Magazine