Rally draws 800,000

Local | 8 Dec 2019 9:34 pm

Some 800,000 people joined the rally organized by Civil Human Rights Front today.
Despite seeing a dip in the turnout of the front's march, convener of the front Jimmy Sham Tsz-kit said the front only obtained the approval from police on Thursday and the short notice might have affected the turnout.
Police said the turnout yesterday was 183,000.
This came after the front's march on June 9, which kicked start anti-fugitive protests that is currently in its 27th week, recorded a turnout of 1 million and the one on June 16 saw 2 million participants.
However, Sham said the march enabled 800,000 HongKongers to voice their desire for the five demands and urged Chief Executive Carrie Lam Cheng Yuet-ngor to set up an independent commission of inquiry to probe recent protests and police brutality.
"Some may compare it with the turnout of June 16 protest, but given that we only have four days to hold press conference [and do publicity work], I believe this is normal," he said. "If Carrie Lam has done genuine reflection, she should set up a real independent commission of inquiry immediately." Sham also criticized police for pressurized during the march as officers set up cordon lines in multiple spots, which he described as "attempts to create a scary atmosphere."
On the second consecutive weekend that rallies are allowed since pro-democracy camp's victory in District Council elections, Sham said yesterday was also the International Human Rights Day, when the front hoped to tell the world the situation in Hong Kong now.
“I'd like to thank international friends for supporting Hong Kong,” he said. “We hope to connect international cities to fight for humans rights through marches.”
Despite the march being largely peaceful, entrances of High Court in admiralty and the Court of Final Appeal in Central were set alight.
Around 6pm one of the High Court entrances had its closed roll-up gate set on fire. Broken glass pieces and a towel scattered on the ground. The fire was put off before firemen arrived.
Slogans saying “Rule of law has died” were also sprayed on the external walls off High Court. An hour later, an entrance of the Court of Final Appeal also caught on fire after protesters hurled molotov cocktail at it. The fire was put off by fellow protesters.
The Department of Justice said not only is arson at the court a disruption of social order, but it will also damage the good reputation of Hong Kong as a city with rule of law.

Search Archive

Advanced Search
March 2020

Today's Standard

Yearly Magazine

Yearly Magazine