Demo shuts Prince Edward station at rush hour despite MTRC assurance on police beatings footage

Local | 6 Sep 2019 6:38 pm

The MTR Corp closed Prince Edward Station in the middle of the evening rush hour today, after a huge crowd gathered demanding the release of surveillance camera footage from last Saturday night.

The MTRC said trains on the Tsuen Wan Line and Kwun Tong Line will not stop at Prince Edward Station and advised passengers to swith to other lines at Mong Kok / Yau Ma Tei Station for the Tsuen Wan Line / Kwun Tong Line.

Police had said they made dozens of arrests on Saturday night after clearing the station of reporters. But with no journalists present at the time, social media has been awash with rumors of what actually happened, and some people, fearing the worst, have been placing white flowers outside the station.
The MTRC said it had to shut the station down at around 5:15pm today to ensure the safety of passengers and staff.
Protesters then gathered outside the station instead, with police in riot gear stationed outside nearby Mong Kok Police Station.
Protesters and passengers had swarmed the station concourse with loud chants throughout the day as they pressed the rail operator to release the August 31 footage.
Some knelt down and literally begged MTRC bosses to release the recordings, with dozens of others, including school pupils, joining the crowd in support.
"I don't trust the authorities now. They need to release the footage to let us know the truth," one demonstrator said.
The MTRC announced earlier in the day that it will keep relevant footage from the station for three years in case it's needed for any investigation. Ordinarily, it would be wiped out after 28 days.
Last Saturday was also the night that journalists filmed policemen beating and pepper-spraying passengers on a train at Prince Edward, with the violent scenes showed repeatedly on TV stations across the globe.
But by the time police cleared the station of protesters, they had already sent all the media packing.
Medical personnel who turned up at the station to treat the injured were also turned away, prompting even more speculation about what had happened inside.

Search Archive

Advanced Search
February 2020

Today's Standard

Yearly Magazine

Yearly Magazine