Police tip-off lines relaunched
Tuesday, October 08, 2019
The police today relaunched their violence tip-off "hotlines", after their attempt to do so last month was thwarted when WhatsApp canceled their accounts.
This time the force isn't using WhatsApp, which is one of the most popular platforms of its kind in the city, and is instead urging people to report suspicious activity to them via the mainland's Wechat or Korea's Line app, RTHK reported.
The police had first introduced the tip-off channels in September, calling for the public to send them videos, photos and information on any illegal protest-related activity.
Officers said the move was in response to pleas from members of the public to be able to support the force in dealing with anti-government protesters.
But after just three days, Facebook, which owns WhatsApp, suspended the accounts, saying the platform does not allow bulk-messaging and is only for personal use.
The police had said that they themselves decided to suspend the service due to "different opinions" on it, adding that a lot of information had already been sent to the force via the accounts.