CUHK head says it's on the road to recovery after clashesLocal | Jane Cheung 4 Dec 2019
The Chinese University of Hong Kong President Rocky Tuan Sung-chi said he is now out of the hospital and "fully engaged" in his work at the institution.
Tuan was admitted to hospital four days after he breathed in tear gas during negotiations with police on November 12, when CUHK was turned into a battlefield as riot police and protesters had intense clashes with around 2,000 canisters of tear gas fired near the university's No 2 bridge atop Tolo Highway.
Afterwards, police found nearly 4,000 petrol bombs and other weapons inside the campus.
In an open letter issued yesterday, Tuan said he has fully recovered and thanked the public for sending him their well wishes.
He said the university was "severely challenged" in the past few weeks.
"Like all of you, I hope to see the campus fully restored as soon as possible, and the health and safety of university members safeguarded," he wrote.
"To ensure environmental safety, the university has appointed an independent accredited laboratory which has collected air, water, and environment surface samples from different locations and at different times on campus," he said.
Tuan said the most seriously affected areas around Campus Circuit East and the No 2 bridge have been cordoned off and access to the campus via all entrances is restricted.
"We have also arranged workshops for staff on the protection of health and safety, explaining to colleagues and drawing their attention to matters related to campus cleaning and providing them with proper protective gears and equipment," he wrote.
He said all university departments have resumed normal operations since Monday last week, despite transport arrangements and the work environment not having fully resumed. Tuan also said the school's registrar has liaised with faculties to formalize arrangements for teaching and learning.
The university announced the early termination of the semester the day after the clashes on November 13.