Archer moves on from racial abuse

Sports | AGENCIES 28 Nov 2019

England fast bowler Jofra Archer says the racial abuse directed at him by a fan at the end of the first Test in New Zealand is a "real shame" but that he has moved on.

"I'm over it," the 24-year-old wrote in Britain's Daily Mail newspaper. "I've left what happened at the ground and I've moved on. I should also say it was just one person who was shouting stuff. But I found the incident a real shame."

Archer, who was fast-tracked into the England side and made his Test debut during the Ashes series against Australia earlier this year, said he was fine with opposing fans having a go at him but that there was no room racism in any walk of life.

"There is no time or place for it in any walk of life, let alone cricket," he said.

England coach Chris Silverwood, meanwhile, will return home after day two of the second Test in Hamilton on Saturday due to a family bereavement.

Assistant coaches Graham Thorpe and Paul Collingwood will manage the team in his absence alongside captain Joe Root for the remainder of the New Zealand tour, the England and Wales Cricket Board said.

Search Archive

Advanced Search
December 2019
S M T W T F S

Today's Standard



Yearly Magazine

Yearly Magazine