Woman injured in eye targets judicial reviewTop News | Jane Cheung 11 Sep 2019
A woman whose right eye was ruptured by a suspected beanbag round in a Tsim Sha Tsui protest last month has filed a writ requesting police to provide the court warrant used to obtain her medical report from the Hospital Authority.
The court has banned the disclosure of the writ but a public hearing will be held in the High Court tomorrow to handle the application of the judicial review.
The 22-year-old woman - identified as "K" - filed the writ through Ho Tse Wai & Partners in the Court of First Instance yesterday.
This came after police have obtained her medical report from the Hospital Authority under a court warrant.
A web user who claimed to be the woman's younger sister said in online forum Lihkg that police rejected K's request to provide court warrants and information about obtaining her medical report.
She said the court will handle the judicial review application at 10.30am tomorrow and police have also been invited to the hearing.
She refuted the force's claims that her sister has never contacted them, saying their lawyer has issued letters to police and the Department of Justice on Monday, Tuesday and Friday last week and Monday this week.
"But we have not received a reply from either side! Their claims of being unable to contact my sister is unsubstantiated!" she wrote.
But senior superintendent Steve Li Kwai-wah of the Organized Crime and Triad Bureau yesterday said the force has not received any letter from K, adding that police sent a letter to her on August 12 - one day after she was injured - but has never heard back from her.
"We call for the injured woman to contact police to provide us with the last piece of the puzzle and tell us what happened on the night, including why she showed up at the scene and how far she was from protesters," he said.
Li said the Hospital Authority is the "owner" of patients' medical reports and police need not explain to a third party about details of the court warrant.