Poodle dies as dogs trapped in flat fire

Local | Sophie Hui 22 Jul 2019

One dog died and five were rescued when a flat in Sai Wan Ho went up in flames yesterday.

Two of the building's residents and a pedestrian were also treated for smoke inhalation.

The fire happened in a third-floor flat at Wah Tong Building on Shau Kei Wan Road at 8.34am. Sources said the owners of the dogs were out at the time.

Firefighters used one jet and two breathing apparatus teams, and the fire was extinguished at 9.12am.

A 78-year-old woman, Wong, who lives in the building, was sent conscious to Pamela Youde Nethersole Eastern Hospital for treatment, while the other resident was treated by a medical officer at the scene.

Firemen saved a pug and four poodles from the flat, while another poodle died.Firemen sprayed water on the pug, who suffered from burns and was blackened by the smoke.

Since the owners were not there, the dog was brought to a veterinary clinic nearby by other people.

An inspector from the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals later collected the dead poodle's body from the flat.

It is understood the flat was rented by a retired couple in their 70s, and they have been living there for about two months.

The blaze originated in the kitchen. Officers are investigating.

Parts of the lanes on Shau Kei Wan Road westbound near Tai Hong Street were closed for about an hour. It was eventually reopened to traffic at 9.40am.

The injured pug suffered from burns and had inhaled smoke, while the other four poodles did not have any external injuries.

The owners have sent the dogs to a private clinic.

Search Archive

Advanced Search
December 2019
S M T W T F S

Today's Standard



Yearly Magazine

Yearly Magazine