Nine deer dead in Japan after 'eating plastic'

World | AGENCIES 11 Jul 2019

Nine deer have died after swallowing plastic bags in Japan's Nara Park, a wildlife group said, warning that a surge in tourism may be to blame.

The Nara Deer Preservation Foundation said that masses of plastic bags and snack packets were found in the stomachs of the deer which died between March and June.

"The biggest litter found in one of the nine amounted to 4.3 kilograms," foundation official Yoshitaka Ashimura said. "We were surprised. It was so big."

The picturesque park in Japan's ancient capital is home to more than 1,000 deer, which can even be found roaming the streets in search of special tasty crackers offered by some tourists.

Tourists are forbidden from feeding the deer any food besides the crackers but Ashimura said some visitors offer the animals other types of snacks.

"The deer probably think that the snacks and the plastic packs covering them are both food," he said.

He added that the animals normally eat grass and acorns.

"They might also eat plastic bags dropped on the ground," he said, adding that he believed such cases had increased recently "due to the growing number of visitors".

Search Archive

Advanced Search
November 2019

Today's Standard

Yearly Magazine

Yearly Magazine