More die from SUV rampage

Top News | 14 Sep 2018

Two more people have died after a driver plowed into a crowded public square in the mainland, bringing the death toll to 11, said officials from Hengdong city, Hunan.

The incident on Wednesday night injured another 44 people.

Police have taken the driver - a man in his 40s surnamed Yang - into custody, describing him as a "vengeful repeat offender."

Police added: "He drove the car by himself into the crowd at Yujiang Square and had with him shovels and daggers to attack the crowd, intending to cause serious damage."

Yang's previous offenses included drug charges, theft and intentionally causing hurt, police said.

Videos of the incident circulated briefly on social media, but were quickly removed.

Violent crime has risen in China in recent decades as the economic boom has widened the gap between rich and poor. Police have also previously blamed such attacks on militant separatists.

In 2013, two tourists were killed when a car rammed into bystanders in Tiananmen Square before bursting into flames.

Three attackers also died in the incident, which Beijing blamed on separatists from the restive Xinjiang region.

AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE

Search Archive

Advanced Search
September 2018
S M T W T F S

Today's Standard



Yearly Magazine

Yearly Magazine