'Annoyed' couple face charges after bus ruckus

Top News | Cindy Wan 12 Sep 2018

A couple who stopped a public bus in the middle of a busy road in Causeway Bay for 15 minutes have a case to answer.

Wong Yin-hei, 29, and his wife Victoria Ng Ka-yee, 31, had earlier pleaded not guilty to one count of obstruction of public places or traffic.

Wong also pleaded not guilty to an additional charge of common assault for allegedly shoving a male bystander onto the ground.

Deputy Eastern Court magistrate Leona Chan Pui-man yesterday found that there is a prima facie case and adjourned the case to today.

The court heard that Wong and Ng had missed the route 2X bus of New World First Bus - which travels between Wan Chai and Shau Kei Wan - when it stopped outside the SOGO department store.

Annoyed, they allegedly caused the bus to be delayed for 15 minutes when it was waiting for a traffic light to turn green on Hennessy Road, the court heard.

Driver Lo Kwok-leung testified that Wong yelled at him and hit the windshield. But Lo could not remember what Wong said at the time of the incident.

Lo said the couple blocked the bus and that he tried to steer it to the side to avoid them.

Lo called the company for help four minutes after the pair began blocking the bus as they refused to leave.

Bystander Leung Wai-keung said he tried to pull Wong away to end the standoff, but was pushed to the ground.

A female pedestrian also stepped in, attempting to calm the situation, but the couple stood their ground, Lo said.

Surveillance camera footage played in court showed Ng arriving at the bus stop just as the bus was leaving.

Lo admitted he did not notice Ng was standing in front of the door as he drove off. They then halted the bus for 15 minutes and delayed the bus schedule by around 20 minutes.

Police arrested the couple.

Since Lo joined New World First Bus in 2012, five complaints have been made against him for refusing to let passengers board the bus.

He has also been caught driving carelessly on two occasions.

Meanwhile, Leung could not remember whether it was him or Wong who initiated their scuffle.

Leung also agreed with the defendant's lawyer that Wong did not attack him or attempt to subdue him on the ground.

Wong and Ng were released on HK$1,000 and HK$500 bail respectively.


Search Archive

Advanced Search
July 2019

Today's Standard

Yearly Magazine

Yearly Magazine