Thirsty pets stick heads into danger

Central Station | 12 Jul 2018

Cats and dogs face a new hazard when seeking a safe drink of water.

And Hong Kong IKEA along with other stores in the global chain is doing something about it by recalling a water dispenser for pets because it poses a suffocation risk.

A design blunder has already resulted in two pets getting their heads stuck in the dome of the dispenser.

So Hong Kong IKEA is urging anyone who has bought one to stop their pets using it and instead return it for a full refund of HK$49.90.

IKEA Sweden business area manager Petra Axdorff said the company understands that many customers regard pets as family members, so the recall was vital as product safety is a top priority.

In Hong Kong, an SPCA spokeswoman said any product should be checked with a view to it being potentially dangerous to pets.

Commonplace incidents the SPCA must deal with include pets swallowing small toys, biting electricity cables, consuming cleaning products, eating poisonous plants and falling out of windows.

Her plea: "People should keep a watchful eye on their pets."

Search Archive

Advanced Search
November 2018
S M T W T F S

Today's Standard



Yearly Magazine

Yearly Magazine