Over 1,000 people queue to give bloodTop News | Sum Lok-kei 12 Feb 2018
Many people headed to centers yesterday to donate blood for victims of the bus accident, forming queues that took hours to process.
The Hong Kong Red Cross said blood had been taken from 500 people by 4pm from some 1,700 people who registered to donate. And additional staffs were deployed to six centers to help with the workload.
The turnout was a response to an online appeal on Saturday night asking for healthy people aged from 16 to 66 to step up.
The Red Cross said it did not send the message, but many people went to donor centers yesterday morning.
Waiting time at a center in Causeway Bay was up to four hours in the afternoon with more than 100 queuing outside.
A first-time donor named Ho said a friend's father was among the injure, and she was surprised to see so many people ready to donate. And she would make a point of donating in future.
Booths were also set by the HKRC at Tai Po for people to leave messages to those affected by the accident.
Lee Cheuk-kwong, chief executive and medical director of HKRC's Blood Transfusion Service, said the response meant demand from the accident had been met.
On Saturday night, Lee said, hospitals took 70 bags of blood, but by yesterday afternoon the demand had steadied.
The Red Cross had said last month that its blood reserve was low due to the many people in hospital during the influenza surge.