Tung after hospital visit: no worries

Top News | Phoenix Un 21 Apr 2017

Hong Kong's first chief executive Tung Chee-hwa went to the endoscopy center and radiology department of Queen Mary Hospital yesterday in what he said was a routine medical check.

Tung, 79, vice chairman of the Chinese People's Political Consultative Conference, was seen lying on a gurney at about 3.15pm in the public hospital in Pok Fu Lam. His eyes were closed as more than 10 G4 police officers acting as bodyguards stood nearby.

His wife, Betty Tung Chiu Hung- ping, was seemingly teary-eyed and had to be held by others for support.

At 4pm, Tung, still on the gurney and wearing a mask, was pushed by hospital staff into the endoscopy center, accompanied by his wife and G4 police.

He was taken out half an hour later, then brought to the radiology department, with two G4 guards standing at the door.

Tung finally left the hospital at 5.30pm. He was on his feet, smiling and waving to reporters.

"I was just having a normal body check, thanks for asking," Tung told reporters.

Our Hong Kong Foundation, which Tung founded, also said the former chief executive was just undergoing a "routine" medical check.

"It's just a very minor issue, and you don't need to write about it," a spokeswoman said. "No worries, he has no big problems."

Betty Tung was already waiting in the car outside when Tung walked out of the hospital. He again waved to reporters before getting in the vehicle.

Medical Association president Gabriel Choi Kin said endoscopy mainly looks at the stomach and large intestine, while radiology is for diagnosis and treatment.

"Colonoscopy is now free for the elderly, and Tung Chee-hwa falls within the age group," Choi said. However, he would not speculate about Tung's health.

Tung was chief executive from July 1, 1997 to March 12, 2005 when he resigned in the middle of his second term, citing severe leg pains. He was elected CPPCC vice chairman on the same day he resigned.

He saw through the Asian financial storm in 1997-98, the failure of the national security law legislation in 2003 after a 500,000-strong July 1 rally that year, the bird flu H5N1 outbreak in 1997, and the SARS crisis in 2003.

Search Archive

Advanced Search
May 2018

Today's Standard

Yearly Magazine

Yearly Magazine