Issue: November 08, 2010   (Archive)
Friday, August 28, 2015   




Blast-firm bosses arrested
Twelve people have been arrested over giant explosions that killed at least 145 and devastated part of Tianjin as prosecutors probe 11 officials for neglecting duties.

Beijing denies rush of troops in Korea crisis
Beijing has denied rushing reinforcements to the border with North Korea following a rise in tensions between the two Koreas last week.

Tianjin blasts: safety chief fired for graft
China has sacked the head of its work safety regulator for suspected corruption, Xinhua News Agency said, following blasts that killed more than 100 people in Tianjin earlier this month.

Tianjin deaths rise to 135
The death toll from huge explosions in the port city of Tianjin nearly two weeks ago has risen to 135, officials said.

West to miss parade party
From Belarus to Vanuatu, Beijing yesterday issued a list of world leaders attending next week's huge military parade to mark Japan's defeat in World War II that was notable for its absences.

Trip kid in hole lot of trouble
A 12-year-old boy punched a hole through a US$1.5 million (HK$11.7 million) Italian oil painting when he tripped and fell into the piece during an exhibition in Taipei.

Obama dispatches top aide to Beijing
US President Barack Obama will send his national security adviser Susan Rice to Beijing on Friday, hoping to work through tensions over cyber attacks, the South China Sea and financial turmoil ahead of Xi Jinping's visit to Washington.

Tianjin blasts followed warning of casualties
Several warnings preceded the deadly blasts at the port of Tianjin, including a state-backed research paper highlighting the risk of "grave accidents and casualties" in the chemicals sector and an explosion in another city blamed on lax safety controls.

Prisoners for war amnesty
Beijing plans to grant prisoner amnesties to mark this year's commemorations of the 70th anniversary of the end of World War II, only the eighth time this has happened since 1949.

Million suffer as killer floods strike
Flooding in three central Chinese provinces has left at least 13 people dead and 13 missing and disrupted the lives of nearly one million people, Xinhua News Agency reported.



© 2015 The Standard, The Standard Newspapers Publishing Ltd.
Contact Us | About Us | Newsfeeds | Subscriptions | Print Ad. | Online Ad. | Street Pts

 


Home | Top News | Local | Business | China | ViewPoint | CityTalk | World | Sports | People | Central Station | Spree | Features

The Standard

Trademark and Copyright Notice: Copyright 2015, The Standard Newspaper Publishing Ltd., and its related entities. All rights reserved.  Use in whole or part of this site's content is prohibited.   Use of this Web site assumes acceptance of the
Terms of Use, Privacy Policy Statement and Copyright Policy.  Please also read our Ethics Statement.