Issue: November 08, 2010   (Archive)
Wednesday, July 30, 2014   




Call to use Exchange Fund for social policies rejected
The Exchange Fund remains the last line of defense for financial stability and should not be used to support social policies or adopt a more aggressive investment strategy, the Hong Kong Monetary Authority chief said.

Citizens' action to fill void left by democracy site exit
A financial news and analysis website - offering political, cultural and lifestyle stories as well - will be launched on Friday to fill the void left by the shutdown of House News.

Dire warning for youngsters on diabetes risks
More than one in five diabetes patients have had the disease while young, at age 30 on average, a study found.

Suen tells of his mixed feelings
Former senior government official Michael Suen Ming-yeung said he had mixed feelings when he saw his ex-colleague - Hong Kong's former No 2 Rafael Hui Si-yan - in the dock of a court.

Chambers warn of Occupy damage
The leaders of Hong Kong's five major business chambers have urged the public not to take part in Occupy Central should it be launched this year.

'More democratic' body urged
Hong Kong should explore moderate political reform to enhance the democratic elements in the composition of the Nominating Committee, a respected economist said.

CY looks to be lost in Central, organizer of Occupy claims
Occupy Central initiator Benny Tai Yiu-ting hit out yesterday at Chief Executive Leung Chun-ying, claiming he was politically insensitive for saying he would be signing a petition from an anti-occupation movement.

Four held after photocopied books seized
Customs officers believe they have smashed a syndicate that supplied photocopied textbooks to 35 primary schools following the arrest of four people.

Bloggers reboot democracy site
A group of bloggers has set up a Facebook page for people's commentaries on politics and other issues following the sudden closure of House News, a pro-democracy news site with strong ties to media mogul Jimmy Lai Chee-ying.

Mentally retarded boy dumped in Singapore set to return to HK
Singapore is expected to return to Hong Kong an 11-year-old boy who was found wandering along Marina Promenade in the city state last week after he was allegedly dumped by his father.



© 2014 The Standard, The Standard Newspapers Publishing Ltd.
Contact Us | About Us | Newsfeeds | Subscriptions | Print Ad. | Online Ad. | Street Pts

 


Home | Top News | Local | Business | China | ViewPoint | CityTalk | World | Sports | People | Central Station | Spree | Features

The Standard

Trademark and Copyright Notice: Copyright 2014, The Standard Newspaper Publishing Ltd., and its related entities. All rights reserved.  Use in whole or part of this site's content is prohibited.   Use of this Web site assumes acceptance of the
Terms of Use, Privacy Policy Statement and Copyright Policy.  Please also read our Ethics Statement.