Monday, October 20, 2014   




Ponting vows to fight on

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

ADVERTISEMENT

Ricky Ponting has vowed to fight on in Australia's Test team despite being dumped from the limited-overs side.

Former captain Ponting said he had been informed by selectors that he did not fit into their plans for the one-day team, but despite speculation about his future, stressed that he will not retire from the five-day game.

"I will continue playing Test cricket and I'll continue playing for Tasmania as well," Ponting told a news conference at Sydney Cricket Ground. "I think I proved to everyone and myself that I am still capable of dominating Test cricket as I did in the last Test series against India."

Ponting's ODI sacking comes less than a month after he played a key role in Australia's 4-0 sweep of the home Test series against India, when he scored 544 runs at 108.80 with two centuries.

It also came just a day after he captained Australia to a crushing 110-run ODI win over India as stand- in for the injured Michael Clarke.

Chief selector John Inverarity said Ponting had been dropped because of a lack of form.

"I have no bitterness at all about what's happened," he said, adding that "I totally understand" why the selectors were looking to rebuild the team for the next World Cup.

Cricket Australia chief executive James Sutherland said Ponting would be remembered as the nation's best limited-overs player in history. "I just can't think of a player that has made a greater contribution and been a better one-day cricketer, particularly in the big moments," Sutherland said.

Ponting, 37, said he would look to extend his 162Test career in the West Indies in April. "The passion for me in international cricket has not died or changed. I still don't see a finish line as far as my international career is concerned," he added.

Ponting insisted he will finish his career on his own terms. "I am backing myself to finish the game and finish on a high," he said. "I'll make the right decision at the right time."

AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE


© 2014 The Standard, The Standard Newspapers Publishing Ltd.
Contact Us | About Us | Newsfeeds | Subscriptions | Print Ad. | Online Ad. | Street Pts

 


Home | Top News | Local | Business | China | ViewPoint | CityTalk | World | Sports | People | Central Station | Spree | Features

The Standard

Trademark and Copyright Notice: Copyright 2014, The Standard Newspaper Publishing Ltd., and its related entities. All rights reserved.  Use in whole or part of this site's content is prohibited.   Use of this Web site assumes acceptance of the
Terms of Use, Privacy Policy Statement and Copyright Policy.  Please also read our Ethics Statement.