Tuesday, November 25, 2014   




Coroner rejects witnesses offer from Manila

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Coroner Michael Chan Pik-kiu rejected a Philippine offer to provide four more witnesses to testify via video link over last year's hostage bloodbath.

The court heard the Department of Justice in Hong Kong received the offer from its Manila counterpart over the weekend, hours after a security panel meeting urged the Philippine authorities to allow more witnesses to testify before final submissions were taken.

The witnesses are a National Bureau of Investigation illustrator who submitted drawings of bullet marks, two police officers who collected blood samples at the scene and a medico-legal officer who conducted the autopsy on the hostage-taker's body.

ADVERTISEMENT

Chan said after considering the interests of all parties, he decided not to proceed with the additional witnesses.

He said their offer to turn up was also not promising, as seven Filipino witnesses had failed to testify as scheduled last week.

NATALIE WONG


© 2014 The Standard, The Standard Newspapers Publishing Ltd.
Contact Us | About Us | Newsfeeds | Subscriptions | Print Ad. | Online Ad. | Street Pts

 


Home | Top News | Local | Business | China | ViewPoint | CityTalk | World | Sports | People | Central Station | Spree | Features

The Standard

Trademark and Copyright Notice: Copyright 2014, The Standard Newspaper Publishing Ltd., and its related entities. All rights reserved.  Use in whole or part of this site's content is prohibited.   Use of this Web site assumes acceptance of the
Terms of Use, Privacy Policy Statement and Copyright Policy.  Please also read our Ethics Statement.