Saturday, August 29, 2015   

Flooding threats in lakes formed by quake in Yunnan
(08-05 12:35)

Rescuers raced Tuesday to evacuate villages near rising lakes formed by landslides, complicating relief efforts following a strong earthquake in southern China that killed at least 398 people and has left thousands homeless.
Rescue teams have freed dozens of trapped survivors as they dig through the thousands of homes that collapsed when the tremor struck impoverished Ludian county in Yunnan province on Sunday. A 5-year-old boy freed by hand-digging Monday was among the 32 people rescued in the first two days, the official Xinhua News Agency reported.
Landslides have created barrier lakes where water levels were rising Tuesday to pose a new threat to about 800 residents and seven power stations downstream, where sudden flooding could prompt widespread power outages, Xinhua reported.
A main road into the worst-hit areas of Ludian was clogged Tuesday with bulldozers, backhoes and civilian and military vehicles carrying supplies including water and instant noodles.
Further into the quake zone, survivors, including some half-naked, were sitting along muddy roads in the rain waiting for food and medication, Xinhua said. Medics were reporting severe shortages of medicine and an inability to perform operations on the severely injured, while rescuers said their work had been hampered by continuous downpours and quake-triggered landslides, Xinhua said.
The quake struck about 4:30 p.m. on Sunday about 370 kilometers northeast of the Yunnan provincial capital of Kunming. Overhead footage of the quake zone shot by state broadcaster CCTV showed older houses flattened but newer multistory buildings still standing. --AP   
Other China breaking news:
Susan Rice notes differences and difficulties in Sino-US relationship (08-28 19:58)
Vietnam frees 16 Chinese and six Malaysian convicts (08-28 16:52)
(Tianjin disaster) 28 including 16 firefighters still missing (08-27 22:10)
(Tianjin disaster) Tianjin Port Development says deputy chair Zheng held for ‘dereliction of duty' (08-27 20:32)
45 in Xinjiang jailed on terrorism-related charges (08-27 18:50)
Buenos Aires puts China-made subway cars to the test (08-27 12:51)
(Tianjin disaster) Tianjin Port Holdings chief and Ruihai Logistics chairman held (08-27 11:22)
National work safety chief Yang Dongliang booted out (08-26 18:52)
US and China secure clean coal deal (08-26 14:16)
Susan Rice heads for Beijing (08-25 22:06)

More breaking news >>

© 2015 The Standard, The Standard Newspapers Publishing Ltd.
Contact Us | About Us | Newsfeeds | Subscriptions | Print Ad. | Online Ad. | Street Pts

 


Home | Top News | Local | Business | China | ViewPoint | CityTalk | World | Sports | People | Central Station | Spree | Features

The Standard

Trademark and Copyright Notice: Copyright 2015, The Standard Newspaper Publishing Ltd., and its related entities. All rights reserved.  Use in whole or part of this site's content is prohibited.   Use of this Web site assumes acceptance of the
Terms of Use, Privacy Policy Statement and Copyright Policy.  Please also read our Ethics Statement.