Thursday, September 3, 2015   

(Flight MH17) More victim bodies coming up: Abbott
(07-23 16:26)

Australia's Prime Minister Tony Abbott said Wednesday it was possible that many bodies from the MH17 crash were still lying in the open in Ukraine.
All 298 people onboard the Malaysia Airlines jet, including 28 Australian nationals and nine residents, were killed after the aircraft was apparently shot down over Ukraine last week.
"It's quite possible that many bodies are still out there, in the open in the European summer, subject to interference, and subject to the ravages of heat and animals,'' Abbott told a press conference in Canberra.
Abbott called for a "full recovery search'' of the crash site in the rebel-held eastern Ukraine, saying such an operation was "necessary if all of the bodies are to be recovered''.
The Australian leader added that he had "serious concerns'' about the recovery of the victims' bodies.
"It has been up until now quite unprofessional,'' he said.
"As long as it's possible that there are any Australian remains out there we owe it to the families to do our utmost to recover them.''
Dutch experts have said they were only sure 200 bodies had been recovered so far -- less than what the pro-Russian rebels had promised.
International monitors also said some remains were left decomposing under the sweltering summer heat in the vast crash site in rebel-held east Ukraine. --AFP   
Other World breaking news:
Forests in tropics vanishing at alarming rate, study shows (09-02 20:46)
Europe squabbles over angry migrant masses at its doorstep (09-02 20:36)
Eight die in Paris apartment blaze (09-02 20:28)
Surgeons bury hand in stomach tissue to revive badly burnt hand (09-02 17:40)
Congo warlord on trial for murder and rape at world court (09-02 17:29)
World heading for greater warming, study predicts (09-02 17:22)
Australia treasurer puts spin on anemic growth, dollar drops (09-02 16:26)
Migrants demand chance to leave Hungary (09-02 16:05)
Migrants going nowhere from Hungary station (09-02 14:22)
Thais say bomb suspect’s fingerprints found on bottle (09-02 14:19)

More breaking news >>

© 2015 The Standard, The Standard Newspapers Publishing Ltd.
Contact Us | About Us | Newsfeeds | Subscriptions | Print Ad. | Online Ad. | Street Pts

 


Home | Top News | Local | Business | China | ViewPoint | CityTalk | World | Sports | People | Central Station | Spree | Features

The Standard

Trademark and Copyright Notice: Copyright 2015, The Standard Newspaper Publishing Ltd., and its related entities. All rights reserved.  Use in whole or part of this site's content is prohibited.   Use of this Web site assumes acceptance of the
Terms of Use, Privacy Policy Statement and Copyright Policy.  Please also read our Ethics Statement.