Saturday, November 29, 2014   

Taiwan prosecutors seek death penalty on subway killer
(07-21 12:34)

Taiwanese prosecutors on Monday said they were seeking the death penalty for a man accused of killing four people and wounding nearly two dozen others in a stabbing spree on the Taipei subway that shocked the island.
Cheng Chieh, a 21-year-old college student, was charged with four accounts of murder and 22 accounts of attempted murder for the fatal attack on May 21, the first of its kind on the city's subway system since it began operating in 1996, AFP reports.
"The accused's actions fit the definition of mass murders, his means were ruthless and inhuman, and caused irreparable harm to the victims and their families. We demand the court sentence him to death,'' prosecutors said in a statement.
The incident shocked Taiwan, otherwise proud of its low levels of violent crime, and resulted in several minor injuries as edgy commuters fled trains over false alarms in the following week.
Cheng's parents had asked for him to be sentenced to death to help ease the pain inflicted on the victims and their families, calling their son's actions ''unforgivable''.
Executions are carried out in Taiwan by a single shot to the heart from the back -- or, if the prisoner agrees to donate his organs, a bullet to the back of the head.
Prosecutors said psychological evaluations have shown that Cheng was not in a state of mental disorder when he committed the crime, and that he is fit to stand trial.
They described him as "anti-society, narcissistic, immature and pessimistic''.
In elementary school, he vowed to "kill people in revenge'' after having trouble with classmates, they said.
Local media said he had been obsessed with online killing games and had written horror stories since high school.
Cheng's parents spoke to reporters on May 27 at the subway station outside Taipei where the killings took place.
"Although he is our child, the crime he committed is unforgivable,'' Cheng's sobbing father said.
"I think he should be sentenced to death... he should face it himself. Only by so doing may the pains inflicted on the victims and the wounded and their families be slightly eased.''
He urged judges to pass sentence on his son as soon as possible. "We hope Cheng Chieh can act in a correct manner during his next life,'' he added.
Security has been strengthened on the metro, which transports around 1.85 million people a day.
The Taipei Rapid Transit Corporation is seeking a compensation of TW$20.61 million from Cheng for operational losses after it lost around 945,000 passengers in the 10 days following the attack.   
Other China breaking news:
Activist for media freedom standing trial (11-28 17:44)
More than 500 lawyers sign protest letter at new law (11-28 17:43)
Guizhou coal mine explosion kills 11: Xinhua (11-27 14:52)
China drafts first domestic violence law (11-26 18:53)
Coal mine fire kills 26 in Liaoning: Xinhua (11-26 17:58)
China asks US for help in hunting down fugitives (11-26 15:56)
China blasts US comments on island project as 'irresponsible' (11-24 17:06)
Sichuan quake death toll rises to five (11-24 11:35)
Island project in disputed waters 'justifiable': general (11-24 11:21)
Uighur scholar's appeal rejected against life sentence (11-21 18:38)

More breaking news >>

© 2014 The Standard, The Standard Newspapers Publishing Ltd.
Contact Us | About Us | Newsfeeds | Subscriptions | Print Ad. | Online Ad. | Street Pts

 


Home | Top News | Local | Business | China | ViewPoint | CityTalk | World | Sports | People | Central Station | Spree | Features

The Standard

Trademark and Copyright Notice: Copyright 2014, The Standard Newspaper Publishing Ltd., and its related entities. All rights reserved.  Use in whole or part of this site's content is prohibited.   Use of this Web site assumes acceptance of the
Terms of Use, Privacy Policy Statement and Copyright Policy.  Please also read our Ethics Statement.