Saturday, August 2, 2014   

660 alleged pedophiles arrested in UK
(07-16 19:08)

British police have arrested 660 suspected pedophiles including doctors, teachers and care workers in a six-month operation targeting people watching indecent images online, the National Crime Agency said Wednesday.
The operation led to the safeguarding of 400 children and has resulted in charges brought ranging from possessing indecent images of children to serious sexual assault, it said in a statement.
Some 45 police forces across England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland were involved in the operation.
Britain has been rocked by a series of pedophile scandals in the last two years, since revelations that late BBC television host Jimmy Savile was a serial sex offender.
The government recently launched a major inquiry into claims of an alleged parliamentary abuse ring.
The NCA stressed that none of those arrested in the operation is a serving or former lawmaker or member of the government.
"This is the first time the UK has had the capability to coordinate a single targeted operation of this nature,'' said NCA Deputy Director General Phil Gormley.
Some of those arrested in the NCA operation had unsupervised access to children in the course of their work, including scout leaders and former police officers. Thirty-nine of those detained had previously come to the attention of police.
"Our aim was to protect children who were victims of, or might be at risk of, sexual exploitation,'' added Gormley.
"A child is victimized not only when they are abused and an image is taken. They are re-victimized every time that image is viewed by someone,'' he added. --AFP
   
Other World breaking news:
Emirates suspends flights to Guinea over Ebola fears (08-01 18:13)
Japan names islets in disputed waters (08-01 16:46)
Israel shelling kills 8 after Gaza truce begins (08-01 16:18)
Japan PM to reshuffle cabinet in early September (08-01 15:43)
72-hour Gaza truce begins (08-01 13:18)
'Forgetting isn't easy': Google (08-01 12:35)
(Flight MH17) International probe to begin at crash site (08-01 12:04)
(Flight MH17) More bodies found at crash site (08-01 11:03)
Death tolls hit 51 in India mudslide (08-01 10:37)
US warns against traveling to Ebola-hit countries (08-01 10:33)

More breaking news >>

© 2014 The Standard, The Standard Newspapers Publishing Ltd.
Contact Us | About Us | Newsfeeds | Subscriptions | Print Ad. | Online Ad. | Street Pts

 


Home | Top News | Local | Business | China | ViewPoint | CityTalk | World | Sports | People | Central Station | Spree | Features

The Standard

Trademark and Copyright Notice: Copyright 2014, The Standard Newspaper Publishing Ltd., and its related entities. All rights reserved.  Use in whole or part of this site's content is prohibited.   Use of this Web site assumes acceptance of the
Terms of Use, Privacy Policy Statement and Copyright Policy.  Please also read our Ethics Statement.