Wednesday, October 1, 2014   

192 die in Gaza on eighth day of violence
(07-15 16:12)

The death toll from Israel's week-long campaign in Gaza rose Tuesday to 192, after another six Palestinians died, four of them in strikes before Israel accepted an Egyptian ceasefire.
Emergency services spokesman Ashraf al-Qudra said three people were killed in two separate air strikes on the southern city of Khan Yunis.
And two other men in the city succumbed to injuries sustained in earlier raids, he said.
Also in the south, a woman was killed in an earlier strike on Rafah, taking Tuesday's toll to six dead, he said.
All of the fatalities took place before Israel accepted a 0600 GMT ceasefire proposed by Egypt, despite its rejection by Hamas.
Late Monday, the death toll rose above that of the previous major conflict between Israel and Hamas militants, an eight day confrontation in November 2012 which claimed the lives of 177 Palestinians and six Israelis.
So far, no Israelis have been killed in the week-long fighting in and around Gaza, with only four people seriously injured.
The Gaza-based Palestinian Center for Human Rights said on Sunday, when the toll stood at over 150, that three quarters of the dead were civilians.
And on Monday, a senior UN official said more than a quarter were children.
The bloodiest day so far was Saturday when 56 Gazans were killed.
Four Israelis have been seriously wounded since the start of the operation.
Israel began Operation Protective Edge before dawn on Tuesday in an attempt to halt cross-border rocket fire by militant groups.
Since then, 840 rockets have hit Israel, while another 191 have been intercepted by its Iron Dome air defense system, the army said. --AFP   
Other World breaking news:
New Interpol complex in Singapore to boost fight against cyber crime (09-30 15:32)
Man kicked to death in row over Japan noodle shop seat (09-30 15:18)
Canada demands Google, Netflix data, sets deadline: reports (09-30 14:12)
No Japan volcano rescue Tuesday amid fears of new eruption (09-30 14:10)
Dallas hospital monitoring patient for Ebola (09-30 12:04)
Islam-linked US beheading suspect to be charged (09-30 10:30)
SKorea ferry runs aground, all 109 rescued (09-30 10:29)
Spain files challenge to Catalonia independence vote (09-29 19:04)
War crimes court hears Karadzic closing arguments (09-29 16:22)
Two dead in decompression chamber in Japan spa (09-29 15:22)

More breaking news >>

© 2014 The Standard, The Standard Newspapers Publishing Ltd.
Contact Us | About Us | Newsfeeds | Subscriptions | Print Ad. | Online Ad. | Street Pts

 


Home | Top News | Local | Business | China | ViewPoint | CityTalk | World | Sports | People | Central Station | Spree | Features

The Standard

Trademark and Copyright Notice: Copyright 2014, The Standard Newspaper Publishing Ltd., and its related entities. All rights reserved.  Use in whole or part of this site's content is prohibited.   Use of this Web site assumes acceptance of the
Terms of Use, Privacy Policy Statement and Copyright Policy.  Please also read our Ethics Statement.