Tuesday, September 2, 2014   

Armless driver clocked up 160,000 kms: report
(07-03 18:45)

A Chinese man with no arms clocked up 160,000 kilometres of driving with his feet -- but no licence -- before he was stopped by police on a motorway, media reported Thursday.
"During an investigation, (police) discovered a man wearing a short sleeve T-shirt with empty sleeves, with his left leg controlling the steering wheel,'' news website Jingchuwang said, AFP reports.
The 45-year-old, surnamed Guo, was apprehended on a motorway in the central province of Hubei, the report said.
"Police immediately requested him to get out of the car, and saw the driver use his big toe and second toe on his right foot to put the gearstick into neutral, before using his right foot to turn the key,'' it added.
"It was quite a skilled action.''
Guo lost his arms as a seven-year-old in the countryside, when he came into contact with a high voltage power line, the report added.
He learned to use his feet to write, brush his teeth and wash his face, and took only one week to learn how to drive a car, the news portal said.
He had driven the car for 160,000 kilometres without a license before he was apprehended by police in his home town of Xiantou.
"Regrettably, according to Chinese regulations, he is not allowed to apply for a license,'' the report added.
The man was fined 500 yuan and ordered to attend "education'', it said, adding that drivers without licenses commonly receive a fine of 2,000 yuan and 15 days in detention.
Last month, a man with no arms below the elbow was stopped by police for driving a lorry in neighboring Hunan, and in 2008 a man with no arms was found driving an SUV with his feet.   
Other China breaking news:
Shanxi official faces graft probe (09-01 15:18)
Two killed in knife attack at Hubei school (09-01 15:11)
12 missing after Chongqing landslide (09-01 12:11)
WeChat closes, suspends hundreds of accounts (08-29 18:26)
Former Hohhot vice mayor sentenced to death (08-29 15:25)
Taiwanese actor apologizes over drug use (08-29 15:03)
Guizhou landslide toll rises to 15: report (08-29 10:57)
Former Guangxi official stands trial (08-28 18:16)
China vows to respond to US surveillance flights (08-28 17:59)
Chinese courts to be open to foreigners (08-28 17:17)

More breaking news >>

© 2014 The Standard, The Standard Newspapers Publishing Ltd.
Contact Us | About Us | Newsfeeds | Subscriptions | Print Ad. | Online Ad. | Street Pts

 


Home | Top News | Local | Business | China | ViewPoint | CityTalk | World | Sports | People | Central Station | Spree | Features

The Standard

Trademark and Copyright Notice: Copyright 2014, The Standard Newspaper Publishing Ltd., and its related entities. All rights reserved.  Use in whole or part of this site's content is prohibited.   Use of this Web site assumes acceptance of the
Terms of Use, Privacy Policy Statement and Copyright Policy.  Please also read our Ethics Statement.