Thursday, October 23, 2014   

Filipino ex-sex slaves demand justice from Japan
(06-25 16:47)

Filipino women forced into prostitution by the Japanese military during World War II marched Wednesday to the Japanese Embassy to demand justice and to criticize Philippine President Benigno Aquino III's silence on the issue during his visit to Japan.
Six women in their 80s and some two dozen supporters and activists picketed the embassy to call on Prime Minister Shinzo Abe to apologize and compensate them for their ordeal.
"Abe should be made to answer for what the Japanese soldiers did to us,'' said Estelita Dy, 84. "Justice is what we need, justice now.''
Dy denied she and others were voluntary prostitutes, as Japanese nationalists have contended. She said her ordeal began when she was arrested by Japanese troops and shoved into a truck against her will.
"We are already old (but) we will not stop until we can obtain real justice, until we can make sure that there will be peace based on justice,'' said Virginia Villarma, also 84.
The women and their supporters say Japan must go beyond statements and resolve the issue after a Japanese panel last week affirmed the validity of a study that led to Japan's landmark 1993 apology for forcing Asian women into wartime prostitution.
South Korea and China have criticized Abe for backpedaling from past Japanese apologies and acknowledgements of wartime atrocities, and the two countries saw the recent review as an attempt to undermine the 1993 apology. --AP   
Other World breaking news:
Ebola sleuths scour DR Congo jungle for source of outbreak (10-23 11:36)
Lone gunman kills Canadian soldier in Ottawa attack (10-23 11:14)
Two die in Sierra Leone riot sparked by Ebola blood testing (10-22 18:54)
Suspects retract claims they killed Brits: lawyers (10-22 18:50)
Father of UK hostage dies after appeal to save son (10-22 18:48)
NKorea says Kim Jong-Un freed US detainee on Obama request (10-22 18:44)
Japan deputy PM directly urges China to hold summit (10-22 18:26)
Uganda 'gay' trial dimissed due to lack of evidence (10-22 17:50)
Mexican soldiers allegedly executed 12 surrendered suspects (10-22 17:22)
At least four months to contain Ebola: Red Cross chief (10-22 16:48)

More breaking news >>

© 2014 The Standard, The Standard Newspapers Publishing Ltd.
Contact Us | About Us | Newsfeeds | Subscriptions | Print Ad. | Online Ad. | Street Pts

 


Home | Top News | Local | Business | China | ViewPoint | CityTalk | World | Sports | People | Central Station | Spree | Features

The Standard

Trademark and Copyright Notice: Copyright 2014, The Standard Newspaper Publishing Ltd., and its related entities. All rights reserved.  Use in whole or part of this site's content is prohibited.   Use of this Web site assumes acceptance of the
Terms of Use, Privacy Policy Statement and Copyright Policy.  Please also read our Ethics Statement.