Monday, September 1, 2014   

Another nominee for SKorean PM withdraws
(06-24 11:48)

South Korean President Park Geun-Hye's dwindling political fortunes took another hit Tuesdayas her second nominee for prime minister was forced to withdraw over past remarks about Japanese colonial rule.
"I wanted to help President Park Geun-Hye. But I believe that my resignation is the way to help her at this point,'' Moon Chang-Keuk told a press conference, AFP reports.
"So today, I'm giving up my nomination for the prime minister,'' he said.
A political novice, the 65-year-old former journalist had been a surprise choice from the start, and his nomination swiftly became a political battleground because of past comments about issues related to Japan's 1910-45 colonial rule over the Korean peninsula.
Park has had problems with a number of her key political appointments, and Moon's withdrawal is a further blow at a time when her popularity ratings are already at their lowest ebb following the Sewol ferry disaster in April.
The prime minister's job fell open after incumbent Chung Hong-Won resigned amid strident public criticism of the government's response to the Sewol tragedy which claimed around 300 lives, mostly schoolchildren.
Moon wasn't even Park's first choice. That was Ahn Dai-Hee, a former Supreme Court justice who was forced to withdraw his nomination last month following controversy over income he amassed after leaving the bench and going into private practice.
The premiership is a largely symbolic position in South Korea, where all real power lies in the presidential Blue House.
But it is the only cabinet post requiring parliamentary approval, and Moon would have had to endure a rough confirmation hearing.   
Other World breaking news:
Parents of UK boy with tumor face Spanish hearing (09-01 18:11)
Americans detained in North Korea call for US help (09-01 18:04)
Japan firm showcases 'touchable' 3D technology (09-01 17:57)
UK to propose anti-terror laws (09-01 17:18)
Japan launches campaign to stockpile toilet paper (09-01 16:56)
19 new dengue cases in Japan, linked to Tokyo park (09-01 16:54)
Gunman kills two in New Zealand govt office (09-01 15:50)
German train drivers plan walkout (09-01 15:48)
Two dead in New Zealand welfare office shooting (09-01 15:20)
Japan says electronics OK during take-off and landing (09-01 14:28)

More breaking news >>

© 2014 The Standard, The Standard Newspapers Publishing Ltd.
Contact Us | About Us | Newsfeeds | Subscriptions | Print Ad. | Online Ad. | Street Pts

 


Home | Top News | Local | Business | China | ViewPoint | CityTalk | World | Sports | People | Central Station | Spree | Features

The Standard

Trademark and Copyright Notice: Copyright 2014, The Standard Newspaper Publishing Ltd., and its related entities. All rights reserved.  Use in whole or part of this site's content is prohibited.   Use of this Web site assumes acceptance of the
Terms of Use, Privacy Policy Statement and Copyright Policy.  Please also read our Ethics Statement.