|Development plan goes on: CY
The Chief Executive says the government will not withdraw its northeastern New Territories development plan which sparked the storming of the Legislative Council four days ago.
C.Y. Leung stressed that the plan is aimed at helping to tackle Hong Kong's long-term housing supply problem.
Speaking ahead of the weekly Ececutive Council meeting, he said the plan involves the overall future development.
Leung said Hong Kong cannot not simply rely on "spicy measures" to resolve its long term housing problem.
He said the real solution is to increase the supply of flats, through the development of new towns.
The chief executive also said the public had been widely consulted on the plan in the past few years, and that the government has no plan to withdraw its funding request for the project at Legco's finance committee.
In reponse to complaints that some protesters were allegedly beaten by officers after they were arrested last Friday, Leung said they would follow normal procedures and look into the allegations.
Ricky Chu, the Secretary-general of the Independent Police Complaints Council said investigation into the accusations won't be easy if there were no video or voice recordings.
But he stressed that it's not impossible to find out what happened by examining protesters' injuries, and other evidence at the scene. --RTHK