Thursday, September 18, 2014   

First intangible cultural heritage announced
(06-17 11:55)

Cantonese opera, Dragon Boat Festival and traditional Chinese medicine together with more than 470 items are on the list of Hong Kong's first intangible cultural heritage inventory which was made public on Tuesday.
The inventory, including a total of 480 items, is the result of over three years of a territory-wide research and data collection, as well as a public consultation held last year, a spokesman for the Leisure and Cultural Services Department (LCSD) said when making the announcement.
The spokesman said the government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region will devise and implement a host of enhanced safeguarding measures which will include establishing a mechanism for updating the list of items regularly and for receiving public proposals.
According to the Convention for the Safeguarding of the Intangible Cultural Heritage adopted by the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) in 2003, the intangible cultural heritage is manifested in five domains comprising oral traditions and expressions, including language as a vehicle of the ICH; performing arts; social practices, rituals and festive events; knowledge and practices concerning nature and the universe; and traditional craftsmanship.
The 480 inventory items of Hong Kong covered in these five domains include oral legends of lineages, Cantonese opera, jiao festivals, the Dragon Boat Festival, the Yu Lan Festival, fire dragon dances, traditional Chinese medicine and the technique for making a guqin, an ancient stringed instrument. --Xinhua   
Other Hong Kong breaking news:
Pro-Occupy group in international appeal (1 hr 25 mins ago)
Groups mark Mukden Incident anniversary (09-18 14:13)
Protest application 'rejected' (09-18 14:12)
Govt to beef up cooking oil regulations (09-18 12:16)
Right of abode appeal dismissed (09-18 11:41)
Jimmy Lai visits ICAC headquarters (09-17 18:50)
Radio station to pay damages to RTHK (09-17 16:42)
Next Media boss shows up at ICAC headquarters (09-17 14:35)
2000 students expected to join boycott (09-17 14:19)
Govt offer for Tuen Mun tip rejected (09-17 13:09)

More breaking news >>

© 2014 The Standard, The Standard Newspapers Publishing Ltd.
Contact Us | About Us | Newsfeeds | Subscriptions | Print Ad. | Online Ad. | Street Pts

 


Home | Top News | Local | Business | China | ViewPoint | CityTalk | World | Sports | People | Central Station | Spree | Features

The Standard

Trademark and Copyright Notice: Copyright 2014, The Standard Newspaper Publishing Ltd., and its related entities. All rights reserved.  Use in whole or part of this site's content is prohibited.   Use of this Web site assumes acceptance of the
Terms of Use, Privacy Policy Statement and Copyright Policy.  Please also read our Ethics Statement.