Thursday, October 23, 2014   

(Flight MH370) Searchers unsure of jet hunt payers
(06-10 11:24)

Countries searching for the missing Malaysian plane have yet to agree on how to share costs, an Australian search leader said Tuesday.
Malaysian officials were in the Australian capital Canberra to discuss the next phase of the seabed search for Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 that is thought to have crashed in the southern Indian Ocean on March 8 with 239 passengers and crew on board.
Malaysia is in charge of the search because the Boeing 777 is registered in that country. But Australia is coordinating the search because it is the closest country to where the plane is thought to have crashed. Most of the passengers were Chinese and their government is playing an active role in the search.
"We're still to negotiate the burden-sharing with, for example, Malaysia,'' Australia's Joint Agency Coordination Center head Angus Houston told Australian Broadcasting Corp. television.
A seabed search of the most likely crash site, using an unmanned remote controlled submarine, ended last month without finding any trace of the plane.
Australia is contracting private operators to embark on a much larger search using powerful sonar equipment. The new search is expected to take more than eight months.
The Australian government expects to spend 90 million Australian dollars on the search by July 2015. But the actual cost to Australia will depend on how quickly the wreckage can be found and how much other countries are willing to contribute.
Treasurer Joe Hockey said his government would not shirk its financial responsibility to conduct the search in Australia's search and rescue zone.
"It is understood that the plane went down in waters that are our responsibility,'' Hockey told reporters in Sydney. ``And there is a cost to having responsibility. And we don't shirk that. We accept our responsibility and we'll pay for it.'' --AP   
Other World breaking news:
Ebola sleuths scour DR Congo jungle for source of outbreak (2 hrs 19 mins ago)
Lone gunman kills Canadian soldier in Ottawa attack (2 hrs 40 mins ago)
Two die in Sierra Leone riot sparked by Ebola blood testing (10-22 18:54)
Suspects retract claims they killed Brits: lawyers (10-22 18:50)
Father of UK hostage dies after appeal to save son (10-22 18:48)
NKorea says Kim Jong-Un freed US detainee on Obama request (10-22 18:44)
Japan deputy PM directly urges China to hold summit (10-22 18:26)
Uganda 'gay' trial dimissed due to lack of evidence (10-22 17:50)
Mexican soldiers allegedly executed 12 surrendered suspects (10-22 17:22)
At least four months to contain Ebola: Red Cross chief (10-22 16:48)

More breaking news >>

© 2014 The Standard, The Standard Newspapers Publishing Ltd.
Contact Us | About Us | Newsfeeds | Subscriptions | Print Ad. | Online Ad. | Street Pts

 


Home | Top News | Local | Business | China | ViewPoint | CityTalk | World | Sports | People | Central Station | Spree | Features

The Standard

Trademark and Copyright Notice: Copyright 2014, The Standard Newspaper Publishing Ltd., and its related entities. All rights reserved.  Use in whole or part of this site's content is prohibited.   Use of this Web site assumes acceptance of the
Terms of Use, Privacy Policy Statement and Copyright Policy.  Please also read our Ethics Statement.