Saturday, October 10, 2015   

Malaysia PM sues news website
(06-03 19:13)

Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak Tuesday launched legal action against a leading independent news website known for its often harsh criticism of the long-ruling government, the portal said. said Najib's lawyers served it with court papers on Tuesday, claiming he and his ruling United Malays National Organisation (UMNO) were defamed by reader comments published by the portal last month.
The comments questioned Najib's leadership, and alleged corruption in UMNO's 57-year-old government. Such criticisms are routine in the site's reader comment section.
Najib, who had first threatened legal action in mid-May, is seeking damages, an injunction against further defamatory content and an apology from the website.
"We intend to fight the suit vigorously,'' said Malaysiakini editor Steven Gan in comments posted on the portal.
The ruling coalition -- dominated by Najib's Muslim and ethnic Malay party -- has wielded press control as a major weapon to help remain in power since independence in 1957.
The coalition had a virtual monopoly of the media until Internet penetration surged in recent years.
Malaysiakini, launched in 1999, and newer portals have garnered a following with content alleging racial injustice and official corruption -- issues largely ignored by the government-controlled media.
Such sites have remained relatively free -- despite occasional raids and bans -- due to an official pledge not to censor the Internet made in the mid-90s to attract foreign investment.
In a speech at a Malaysian National Press Club event last week, Najib said his threats against Malaysiakini did not signal a media crackdown.
"It is not an attempt to silence critical voices,'' he said, according to media reports, adding that there ``is a difference between legitimate criticism and defamation''.
Last week Human Rights Watch criticised Najib's threats of legal action, calling them "heavy-handed efforts to compel a critical website to toe the line'' which showed "a fundamental disregard for press freedom.''
An initial court date is set for June 18. --AFP
Other World breaking news:
Indian capital minister booted for graft (10-09 21:34)
Israelis gun down Palestinians near Gaza border, Hamas calls for uprising (10-09 21:03)
Libya factions reject UN-backed regime (10-09 20:39)
Czechs buttress border against refugees (10-09 19:36)
Libyans detain 300 Europe-bound Africans (10-09 19:27)
One killed in US university shooting (10-09 19:25)
Hamas calls for ‘intifada’ in east Jerusalem (10-09 19:21)
France completes second Syria bombing run (10-09 17:26)
Jewish suspect held for stabbing four Arabs (10-09 17:24)
Eritrean asylum-seekers leave for Sweden (10-09 17:21)

More breaking news >>

© 2015 The Standard, The Standard Newspapers Publishing Ltd.
Contact Us | About Us | Newsfeeds | Subscriptions | Print Ad. | Online Ad. | Street Pts


Home | Top News | Local | Business | China | ViewPoint | CityTalk | World | Sports | People | Central Station | Spree | Features

The Standard

Trademark and Copyright Notice: Copyright 2015, The Standard Newspaper Publishing Ltd., and its related entities. All rights reserved.  Use in whole or part of this site's content is prohibited.   Use of this Web site assumes acceptance of the
Terms of Use, Privacy Policy Statement and Copyright Policy.  Please also read our Ethics Statement.