Saturday, August 23, 2014   

SKorea resumes search for ferry victims
(05-13 11:02)

Recovery operations in South Korea's ferry disaster resumed Tuesday after dangerous conditions forced a three-day hiatus, while officials promised counseling for divers traumatized by retrieving children's bodies from the sunken vessel.
Operations at the site off the southern coast, where the 6,825-tonne Sewol with 476 people on board sank on April 16, had been suspended since Saturday morning because of strong tidal currents and heavy swells, AFP reports.
Improved conditions allowed a team of 16 divers to access the submerged ferry in the early hours of Tuesday morning, but no bodies were recovered, coastguard spokesman Ko Myung-Suk told reporters.
The confirmed death toll stood at 275, with 29 still missing.
The recovery teams are under intense pressure to retrieve the remaining bodies as soon as possible, and Ko said they would do their best to make up for the lost days.
But the grim work is taking its toll on the divers, who are reduced to groping for bodies, most of them schoolchildren, in near-zero visibility.
Park Seung-Ki, a spokesman for the federal anti-disaster agency, said counseling and psychiatric help would be "actively provided'' to any divers who needed it.
Of those on board, 325 were students from a high school on an organized trip to the southern resort island of Jeju.
Initial investigations into the disaster suggest the ferry was carrying up to three times its safe cargo capacity.
All 15 surviving crew members including the captain have been arrested, together with five officials from Chonghaejin Marine Co., which owned and operated the ferry.
The captain and most of the crew were among the first to abandon ship and have been widely vilified for leaving trapped passengers to die.
The government on Monday revoked Chonghaejin's licence to operate the route to Jeju, citing safety violations by the company and crew.
The Sewol's regular captain, who was off duty on the day of the accident, has told prosecutors that Chonghaejin "brushed aside'' repeated warnings that the 20-year-old ship had stability issues following a renovation in 2012.
   
Other World breaking news:
2 French teen girls probed as would-be jihadis (08-22 19:16)
Senegal closes border (08-22 18:48)
France cheers better wine harvest for 2014 (08-22 17:52)
Former SKorea prosecutor admits public lewdness (08-22 17:38)
Russian says aid column 'starting to move' toward east Ukraine (08-22 16:25)
Report: Bus crash kills 33 near Egyptian resort (08-22 15:18)
Japan survivor search halted over landslide fears: police (08-22 15:04)
New N. Korean launch site near completion: think-tank (08-22 13:03)
Governor takes National Guard out of Ferguson (08-22 13:00)
American Ebola doctor 'thrilled to be alive' (08-22 12:54)

More breaking news >>

© 2014 The Standard, The Standard Newspapers Publishing Ltd.
Contact Us | About Us | Newsfeeds | Subscriptions | Print Ad. | Online Ad. | Street Pts

 


Home | Top News | Local | Business | China | ViewPoint | CityTalk | World | Sports | People | Central Station | Spree | Features

The Standard

Trademark and Copyright Notice: Copyright 2014, The Standard Newspaper Publishing Ltd., and its related entities. All rights reserved.  Use in whole or part of this site's content is prohibited.   Use of this Web site assumes acceptance of the
Terms of Use, Privacy Policy Statement and Copyright Policy.  Please also read our Ethics Statement.