Wednesday, October 1, 2014   

(Flight MH370) Search suspended due to cyclone
(04-22 14:15)

The aerial search for missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 was suspended Tuesday due to a tropical cyclone, but not before several aircraft had departed on the mission, officials said.
Up to 10 military aircraft had been scheduled to fly over the Indian Ocean in hopes of spotting clues as to the fate of the Boeing 777, which vanished on March 8 carrying 239 people, AFP reports.
"Planned air search activities have been suspended for today due to poor weather conditions in the search area as a result of Tropical Cyclone Jack,'' the Joint Agency Coordination Centre said, adding that 10 ships in the search zone would continue their work.
"It has been determined that the current weather conditions are resulting in heavy seas and poor visibility, and would make any air search activities ineffective and potentially hazardous.''
JACC later advised that prior to the decision to suspend search activities, four military aircraft had departed RAAF Base Pearce for the 49,491 square kilometre visual search zone.
"One RAAF E7 Wedgetail aircraft to support air-space deconfliction had also departed RAAF Base Learmonth,'' it said.
"These aircraft will continue with their missions, however, individual aircraft captains will assess the conditions once on station and use their discretion as to whether they continue their planned search activities or return to base.''
Australia is leading the hunt for the aircraft which disappeared en route from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing and is believed to have crashed into the Indian Ocean.
No debris has yet been found from the plane and authorities say their best lead has been signals picked up by a black box locator.
Australia's Ocean Shield has deployed an underwater autonomous vehicle (UAV) to scour the seabed at a depth of some 4,500 metres in the vicinity of these signals, hoping to find wreckage of the missing plane.
But Prime Minister Tony Abbott suggested last week that the submersible Bluefin-21 would only be deployed for about a week, and the sonar scanning device has already covered two-thirds of the search zone without result.
"Bluefin-21 AUV is currently completing mission nine in the underwater search area,'' JACC said early Tuesday.
Australia's Bureau of Meteorology said severe Tropical Cyclone Jack was about 700 kilometres west-southwest of the Cocos Islands and moving south-southeast early Tuesday.
While it posed no threat to the Cocos Islands or Western Australia, the likelihood of the system remaining a tropical cyclone in the region was high on Tuesday.   
Other World breaking news:
New Interpol complex in Singapore to boost fight against cyber crime (09-30 15:32)
Man kicked to death in row over Japan noodle shop seat (09-30 15:18)
Canada demands Google, Netflix data, sets deadline: reports (09-30 14:12)
No Japan volcano rescue Tuesday amid fears of new eruption (09-30 14:10)
Dallas hospital monitoring patient for Ebola (09-30 12:04)
Islam-linked US beheading suspect to be charged (09-30 10:30)
SKorea ferry runs aground, all 109 rescued (09-30 10:29)
Spain files challenge to Catalonia independence vote (09-29 19:04)
War crimes court hears Karadzic closing arguments (09-29 16:22)
Two dead in decompression chamber in Japan spa (09-29 15:22)

More breaking news >>

© 2014 The Standard, The Standard Newspapers Publishing Ltd.
Contact Us | About Us | Newsfeeds | Subscriptions | Print Ad. | Online Ad. | Street Pts

 


Home | Top News | Local | Business | China | ViewPoint | CityTalk | World | Sports | People | Central Station | Spree | Features

The Standard

Trademark and Copyright Notice: Copyright 2014, The Standard Newspaper Publishing Ltd., and its related entities. All rights reserved.  Use in whole or part of this site's content is prohibited.   Use of this Web site assumes acceptance of the
Terms of Use, Privacy Policy Statement and Copyright Policy.  Please also read our Ethics Statement.