Thursday, May 28, 2015   

54 arrested in Brazil protest against World Cup
(04-16 17:32)

Brazilian police arrested 54 people at a demonstration late Tuesday against the World Cup in which two banks were vandalized, officials said.
About 1,000 people marched along the key Avenida Paulista road in Sao Paulo where the World Cup opening game will be held on June 12, AFP reports.
Demonstrators carried banners with slogans such as "There will be no Cup.'' They denounced the billions of dollars spent on preparations for the tournament, the world's biggest sporting event.
Police said on Twitter the 54 people arrested had been "promoting disorder.''
At the start of the rally a Brazilian flag was burned.
Later, demonstrators smashed windows at two bank branches and took refuge at a subway station, where police surrounded them.
Sao Paulo has seen several protest rallied against the World Cup, but numbers have shrunk.
Huge rallies were held in June last year when Brazil staged the Confederations Cup, a rehearsal tournament for the World Cup.
Then, a huge grassroots movement took to the streets with more than one million people demanding better services in health, education and transport and a crackdown on corruption.
Recent demonstrations have been smaller but more violent, tending to end in vandalism and clashes with police, who sometimes have taken a hard line on protesters.
Police used a stun grenade to disperse the latest demonstration.
The World Cup will be held in 12 Brazilian cities with the final in Rio de Janeiro on July 13. The home country is a strong favorite to win the trophy.   
Other Sports breaking news:
(French Open) Federer through to third round (05-27 20:33)
(French Open) Sharapova, Stosur in a hurry (05-27 19:51)
(French Open) All Chinese contenders shown the exit (05-27 17:22)
(NHL playoffs) Rangers force decisive game 7 (05-27 11:34)
(Basketball) Korean coach investigated for bets on games (05-27 11:28)
(NBA playoffs) Cavs sweep Hawks, book finals ticket (05-27 11:06)
(French Open) Serena, Nadal barge through, Bouchard bundled out (05-27 11:05)
(Cricket) Centurion Malik plunders Zimbabwe attack (05-27 10:57)
(Baseball) Orioles to take on Cuba national team (05-27 10:54)
(Rugby Union) Retallick, Savea ink long-term All Blacks deal (05-27 10:50)

More breaking news >>

© 2015 The Standard, The Standard Newspapers Publishing Ltd.
Contact Us | About Us | Newsfeeds | Subscriptions | Print Ad. | Online Ad. | Street Pts

 


Home | Top News | Local | Business | China | ViewPoint | CityTalk | World | Sports | People | Central Station | Spree | Features

The Standard

Trademark and Copyright Notice: Copyright 2015, The Standard Newspaper Publishing Ltd., and its related entities. All rights reserved.  Use in whole or part of this site's content is prohibited.   Use of this Web site assumes acceptance of the
Terms of Use, Privacy Policy Statement and Copyright Policy.  Please also read our Ethics Statement.