|So denies contradictory postion on mainland visas
The Secretary for Commerce and Economic Development, Greg So Kam-leung, has sought to cool speculation that multiple-entry visas for mainlanders coming to Hong Kong could be scrapped.
So said such a move could affect the economy, and needs to be considered carefully, RTHK reports.
Chief executive Leung Chun-ying had raised the possibility that the scheme could be scrapped, after he said last week that officials are looking at ways to control the influx of mainlanders to Hong Kong.
So denied that the government had a contradictory position on mainland visitors.
A government report released in January had concluded that Hong Kong would be able to deal with a projected 70 million visitors in 2017, and 100 million in 2023.
But Leung's admission on Friday that the government is looking to control visitor numbers seems to suggest otherwise.
Pressed by reporters on the apparent inconsistency, the Mr So insisted that Leung's comments do not run counter to the report's findings.
He said the projections are accurate, and that transport and tourism facilities in the territory would be able to handle the growing number of visitors.
Asked if the the multiple-entry visa scheme for mainland visitors would be scrapped, he said careful consideration was needed before any change that would affect the city's economic development.