Monday, November 24, 2014   

(Flight MH370) Interpol says Malaysia immigration did not do a single check all year on data base
(03-29 14:59)

Interpol hit back Friday at Malaysia's claims that consulting a stolen passport database would have caused too much delays to be useful, after confusion caused by Kuala Lumpur's failure to detect two illegal migrants on the still missing Malaysia Airlines Boeing 777, AFP reports.
Two passengers on the Beijing bound flight thought to have crashed into the Indian Ocean triggered an international terrorism concerns this month after it was revealed they were travelling on stolen passports.
It was later reported that the pair were illegal migrants from Iran seeking a trip to Germany and Malaysian authorities were criticized for not using an Interpol database designed to identify stolen passports.
But on Wednesday Malaysian Interior minister Zahid Hamidi told parliament in Kuala Lumpur that consulting the database was too time consuming for immigration officers and caused airport delays.
Interpol shot back saying Malaysia's decision to not consult the database before allowing travellers to enter the country or board planes “cannot be defended by falsely blaming technology or Interpol.’’
“If there is any responsibility or blame for this failure, it rests solely with Malaysia's Immigration Department,'' the France-based organization said.
Interpol said that it takes “just seconds to reveal whether a passport is listed, with recent tests providing results in 0.2 seconds.’’
While some countries consult the database more than a hundred million times a year, “in 2014 prior to the tragic disappearance of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH 370, Malaysia's Immigration Department did not conduct a single check of passengers' passports against Interpol's databases,'' the agency said.
“Had Malaysia consulted Interpol's database, the fact that both passengers were using stolen passports would have been discovered almost instantaneously,'' it added.
Interpol said earlier this month the two men were believed to have travelled to Kuala Lumpur via Doha using Iranian passports.
They then switched to stolen Austrian and Italian passports to board the Beijing-bound flight which vanished with 239 people on board.
   
Other China breaking news:
Sichuan quake death toll rises to five (1 hr 37 mins ago)
Island project in disputed waters 'justifiable': general (1 hr 51 mins ago)
Uighur scholar's appeal rejected against life sentence (11-21 18:38)
Chinese journalist tried on state secrets charge (11-21 11:42)
7 killed in knife attack at military clinic (11-20 17:36)
China blocks websites as Internet meeting begins (11-20 11:22)
China seeks to cap coal use at 4.2b tonnes by 2020 (11-19 19:02)
China urges Internet 'security' amid rights criticism (11-19 16:25)
Rumormonger sentenced to four years in jail (11-18 16:32)
Researchers plan Mars mission 'around 2020': state media (11-18 12:03)

More breaking news >>

© 2014 The Standard, The Standard Newspapers Publishing Ltd.
Contact Us | About Us | Newsfeeds | Subscriptions | Print Ad. | Online Ad. | Street Pts

 


Home | Top News | Local | Business | China | ViewPoint | CityTalk | World | Sports | People | Central Station | Spree | Features

The Standard

Trademark and Copyright Notice: Copyright 2014, The Standard Newspaper Publishing Ltd., and its related entities. All rights reserved.  Use in whole or part of this site's content is prohibited.   Use of this Web site assumes acceptance of the
Terms of Use, Privacy Policy Statement and Copyright Policy.  Please also read our Ethics Statement.