Wednesday, November 26, 2014   

(Flight MH370) Bruised Malaysia puts on brave face
(03-26 18:55)

Malaysia's government said it would be judged favorably by posterity over its handling of the missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370.
“I think history will judge us well,'' Defense Minister Hishammuddin Hussein told a press briefing in Kuala Lumpur today.
Hishammuddin had been asked how Malaysia would be able to repair its image and “bruising'' treatment by the international media, AFP reports.
“‘Bruising,’ I think is a bit too harsh because this is unprecedented,'' he said.
“Anybody who has gone through this, what we have gone through... has indicated to me that we have done quite an admirable job.''
Malaysia's authoritarian government has faced criticism both domestically and elsewhere over the unexplained disappearance of the plane on March 8.
At one point, shamans (Pictured) were seen holdings coconuts aloft at the international airport and enacting a search though bamboo ‘binoculars,’ attracting derision at home and abroad.
Malaysia's initial response was plagued by contradictory statements and allegations that authorities wasted precious search time by taking a week to analyze Malaysian military radar that indicated the plane had turned back.
The massive Malaysia-coordinated search effort was eventually reoriented to the Indian Ocean, away from an initial focus on the South China Sea.
“Not many countries in the world could get 26 countries to work together,'' Hishammuddin said, referring to the size of the international effort at its height.
``Not many countries can get all the most sophisticated planes from countries from every corner of the world to come and assist.''
Malaysia is now facing a law suit.
A US law firm said today that it had initiated what it called the first civil legal proceedings over the crash of flight MH370 and that it planned to pursue lawsuits seeking “millions of dollars'' for aggrieved families.—AFP
   
Other China breaking news:
China blasts US comments on island project as 'irresponsible' (11-24 17:06)
Sichuan quake death toll rises to five (11-24 11:35)
Island project in disputed waters 'justifiable': general (11-24 11:21)
Uighur scholar's appeal rejected against life sentence (11-21 18:38)
Chinese journalist tried on state secrets charge (11-21 11:42)
7 killed in knife attack at military clinic (11-20 17:36)
China blocks websites as Internet meeting begins (11-20 11:22)
China seeks to cap coal use at 4.2b tonnes by 2020 (11-19 19:02)
China urges Internet 'security' amid rights criticism (11-19 16:25)
Rumormonger sentenced to four years in jail (11-18 16:32)

More breaking news >>

© 2014 The Standard, The Standard Newspapers Publishing Ltd.
Contact Us | About Us | Newsfeeds | Subscriptions | Print Ad. | Online Ad. | Street Pts

 


Home | Top News | Local | Business | China | ViewPoint | CityTalk | World | Sports | People | Central Station | Spree | Features

The Standard

Trademark and Copyright Notice: Copyright 2014, The Standard Newspaper Publishing Ltd., and its related entities. All rights reserved.  Use in whole or part of this site's content is prohibited.   Use of this Web site assumes acceptance of the
Terms of Use, Privacy Policy Statement and Copyright Policy.  Please also read our Ethics Statement.