Saturday, August 30, 2014   

(Flight MH370) 122 potential new objects detected, but Malaysia unsure of origins
(03-26 18:31)

New satellite images captured during the search for a missing Malaysia Airlines Boeing 777 show 122 “potential objects'' in one area of the Indian Ocean, Malaysia announced today. Some are a meter in length, while others are as long as 23 meters.
The images from Airbus Defence and Space in France show the objects in a 400-square-kilometer area of the ocean, Defense Minister Hishammuddin Hussein (Pictured) told a briefing in Kuala Lumpur.
But he said it was not possible to say whether the objects came from the Boeing 777.
“Nevertheless, this is another new lead that will help direct the search operation,'' he said.
Earlier satellite data from Australia, China and France had also shown floating objects possibly related to flight MH370. But nothing has so far been retrieved.
Hishammuddin said the Airbus images were taken on Sunday, received Tuesday, and immediately forwarded to the Australian agency coordinating the search.
He said the Malaysian Remote Sensing Agency had identified the 122 “potential objects’’ after analyzing the satellite images.
“Some of the objects appeared to be bright, possibly indicating solid materials,'' the minister said.
They were located about 2,557 kilometers from Perth, Australia.
"If it is confirmed to be MH370, at least we can then we can move on to the next phase of deep sea survelliance search,'' Hishammuddin said.--AFP/AP


   
Other China breaking news:
WeChat closes, suspends hundreds of accounts (08-29 18:26)
Former Hohhot vice mayor sentenced to death (08-29 15:25)
Taiwanese actor apologizes over drug use (08-29 15:03)
Guizhou landslide toll rises to 15: report (08-29 10:57)
Former Guangxi official stands trial (08-28 18:16)
China vows to respond to US surveillance flights (08-28 17:59)
Chinese courts to be open to foreigners (08-28 17:17)
8 killed after bus plunges into valley (08-28 14:24)
Shanxi provincial officials removed from posts (08-28 11:42)
6 dead, 21 missing in Guizhou landslide (08-28 11:18)

More breaking news >>

© 2014 The Standard, The Standard Newspapers Publishing Ltd.
Contact Us | About Us | Newsfeeds | Subscriptions | Print Ad. | Online Ad. | Street Pts

 


Home | Top News | Local | Business | China | ViewPoint | CityTalk | World | Sports | People | Central Station | Spree | Features

The Standard

Trademark and Copyright Notice: Copyright 2014, The Standard Newspaper Publishing Ltd., and its related entities. All rights reserved.  Use in whole or part of this site's content is prohibited.   Use of this Web site assumes acceptance of the
Terms of Use, Privacy Policy Statement and Copyright Policy.  Please also read our Ethics Statement.