Thursday, August 21, 2014   

(Flight MH370) Australia says nothing found, now looking out of plane windows with naked eyes
(03-21 16:35)

Australia said today radar had failed to detect any sign of a missing Malaysia Airlines Boeing 777 and authorities are switching to skilled observers to look for debris in the remote southern Indian Ocean. So far, Australia has drawn a blank, officials said today.
Earlier, Australia's Prime Minister had announced in Parliament the sighting of two large objects based on satellite imagery. They had not been verified before the announcement. Abbott said today they could be shipping containers.
The Australian Maritime Safety Authority is searching for Malaysia Airlines Boeing 777 in the region between Australia and Antarctica, in an area 2,500 kilometers southwest of Perth.
“Noting that we got no radar detections yesterday, we have replanned the search to be visual,'' the head of ASMA's emergency response division John Young (Pictured) said.
“So the aircraft flying relatively low, very highly trained and skilled observers looking out of the aircraft windows, and looking to see objects.''
That meant the search aircraft would have to fly more closely together, Young said, adding, “we will need more aircraft for a search of that type.’’
Five planes were in the air today – three Australian RAAF P3 Orions, one long-range corporate jet and a United States Navy P8 Poseidon.
Young said the weather was suitable for searching, but officials have so far drawn a blank in finding anything from the plane.
“We have no sighting yet,'' Young said.
Australia has gradually reduced the search area.
“Although this search area is much smaller than we started with it nonetheless is a big area when you are looking out the window and trying to see something by eye,'' Young said.
“So we may have to do this a few times to be confident about the coverage of that search area.''
Young said authorities planned a similar search for Saturday, only moving the target area to take into account the movement of any objects due to sea currents.
“These satellite image detections provide us with a good lead, as I said yesterday, it also correlates with the work that was done by the US National Transportation Safety Board [on the plane's flight path] and that gives a great degree of confidence in what it is that we're doing,'' he said.
“We remain focused on finding people alive, if they are to be found, and that's tomorrow's game.''—AFP



   
Other China breaking news:
Tibet puts 20-person limit on tour buses after fatal crashes (08-20 15:54)
China fines Japanese auto parts firms for monopoly (08-20 13:31)
China's latest bus fire kills 1, injures 19 (08-20 12:25)
Cult members arrested (08-19 18:59)
Five killed as Shaanxi building collapses (08-19 18:58)
Taiwan investigates ex-China affairs official (08-19 18:31)
Jaycee Chan keeps pot at home (08-19 16:42)
Blast in China coal mine traps 29 miners (08-19 14:00)
Contrite blogger released early: police (08-19 13:16)
Taiwanese actor apologizes for drug offenses (08-19 12:40)

More breaking news >>

© 2014 The Standard, The Standard Newspapers Publishing Ltd.
Contact Us | About Us | Newsfeeds | Subscriptions | Print Ad. | Online Ad. | Street Pts

 


Home | Top News | Local | Business | China | ViewPoint | CityTalk | World | Sports | People | Central Station | Spree | Features

The Standard

Trademark and Copyright Notice: Copyright 2014, The Standard Newspaper Publishing Ltd., and its related entities. All rights reserved.  Use in whole or part of this site's content is prohibited.   Use of this Web site assumes acceptance of the
Terms of Use, Privacy Policy Statement and Copyright Policy.  Please also read our Ethics Statement.