Friday, August 22, 2014   

(Flight MH370) Australia’s Abbott ponders ship containers, dodges questions over unverified objects
(03-21 15:44)

Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott defended his decision to reveal authorities had seen possible wreckage from a missing Malaysia Airlines Boeing 777, saying he owed it to the families.
The information Australia released was not verified.
Abbott told parliament yesterday that satellite images had shown two objects in the southern Indian Ocean which could have come from flight MH370, raising the hopes of hundreds of families.
Asked whether he had “jumped the gun'' on the release of the information, given that the grainy images taken Sunday were indistinct, he said the families were owed the information.
“We owe it to the families and the friends and the loved ones of the almost 240 people on Flight MH370 to do everything we can to try to resolve what is as yet an extraordinary riddle,'' he told reporters.
“We owe it to them to do everything we can to resolve this and because of the understandable state of anxiety and apprehension that they're in, we also owe it to them to give them information as soon as it's to hand and I think I was doing that yesterday in the parliament.''
Abbott said yesterday the satellite images represented new and “credible'' information while stressing that any link with flight MH370 had still to be confirmed.
“Since then, we've been throwing everything we've got at that area to try to learn more about what this debris might be,'' he told journalists in the Papua New Guinea capital Port Moresby.
“Now, it could just be a container that's fallen off a ship. We just don't know,'' he said, adding that additional information from Australian authorities, who are leading the southern end of the search, would be made available as soon as possible.
“Australia will do its duty. It's about the most inaccessible spot you could imagine on the face of the Earth, but if there is anything down there, we will find it.''

   
Other China breaking news:
Taiwan's ex-China affairs official denies spying claim (08-21 18:42)
'Cult' members tried for McDonald's killing (08-21 17:45)
China plans to expand visa-free scheme (08-21 16:53)
China likens Xi to Deng Xiaoping for anniversary (08-21 11:56)
Alleged cult members on trial for McDonald's killings (08-21 11:13)
Tibet puts 20-person limit on tour buses after fatal crashes (08-20 15:54)
China fines Japanese auto parts firms for monopoly (08-20 13:31)
China's latest bus fire kills 1, injures 19 (08-20 12:25)
Cult members arrested (08-19 18:59)
Five killed as Shaanxi building collapses (08-19 18:58)

More breaking news >>

© 2014 The Standard, The Standard Newspapers Publishing Ltd.
Contact Us | About Us | Newsfeeds | Subscriptions | Print Ad. | Online Ad. | Street Pts

 


Home | Top News | Local | Business | China | ViewPoint | CityTalk | World | Sports | People | Central Station | Spree | Features

The Standard

Trademark and Copyright Notice: Copyright 2014, The Standard Newspaper Publishing Ltd., and its related entities. All rights reserved.  Use in whole or part of this site's content is prohibited.   Use of this Web site assumes acceptance of the
Terms of Use, Privacy Policy Statement and Copyright Policy.  Please also read our Ethics Statement.