Thursday, August 28, 2014   

(Flight MH370) Chinese relatives keep hopes alive amid news of large objects afloat
(03-20 15:49)

The families of Chinese passengers aboard a missing Malaysia Airlines Boeing 777 insisted that their loved ones could still be alive.
(Pictured, Chinese relatives await news in a Beijing hotel)
Beijing said it will follow developments related to what appears to be debris, which Australian authorities said were two large objects afloat in the southern Indian Ocean. The areas is a four-hour flight from Australia's southwestern coast, officials said.
Australian Maritime Safety Authority general manager John Young described the objects as “relatively indistinct on imagery.’’ One object was estimated to be 24 meters long. It had been detected by satellite.
A US Navy P8 Poseidon aircraft is in the area.
But Wen Wancheng refused to accept the announcement meant he had lost his son, who was a passenger on the flight.
“My son is still alive. My son is still alive,'' said the 63-year-old from Shandong province. “I don't believe the news.''
There are 153 Chinese citizens on board flight MH370, whose relatives have been waiting for news at the Metropark Lido hotel in Beijing.
Zhao Chunzeng, who declined to identify his relative on board, said families were seeking a confirmed discovery.
“We are waiting, just waiting and we can't respond to news until it is definitely confirmed,'' Zhao told AFP.
Asked if he felt that the Australian announcement had greater significance as it came from the prime minister, he said: “Maybe, but we will still have to wait and see.''
Chinese foreign ministry spokesman Hong Lei said the government was paying “great attention'' to the news from Australia.
“The Chinese side is ready to make relevant arrangements based on the latest updates,'' he said in a statement, without elaborating.—AFP

   
Other China breaking news:
Pacquiao to help set up boxing institute (08-27 15:55)
China bus-truck collision death toll rises to 15 (08-27 15:18)
Beijing probes top official of China Resources unit (08-27 12:55)
Four die after wall collapse in Yunnan quake zone (08-27 10:27)
13 dead in Gansu bus-truck crash (08-26 19:02)
Paper urges 'coercive measures' against HK protesters (08-26 12:21)
6,300 votes in Macau reform poll (08-26 11:02)
NPCSC meeting in Beijing (08-25 17:26)
Officials punished for anti-bureaucracy violations (08-25 14:07)
China divided over the common language (08-25 11:44)

More breaking news >>

© 2014 The Standard, The Standard Newspapers Publishing Ltd.
Contact Us | About Us | Newsfeeds | Subscriptions | Print Ad. | Online Ad. | Street Pts

 


Home | Top News | Local | Business | China | ViewPoint | CityTalk | World | Sports | People | Central Station | Spree | Features

The Standard

Trademark and Copyright Notice: Copyright 2014, The Standard Newspaper Publishing Ltd., and its related entities. All rights reserved.  Use in whole or part of this site's content is prohibited.   Use of this Web site assumes acceptance of the
Terms of Use, Privacy Policy Statement and Copyright Policy.  Please also read our Ethics Statement.