Saturday, August 30, 2014   

(Flight MH370) Determined to go on hunger strike, Beijing relatives wonder where Malaysian envoy is
(03-18 15:23)

Desperate relatives of Chinese passengers aboard the missing Malaysia Airlines Boeing 777 have threatened to go on hunger strike.
(Pictured, Xie Hangsheng, right, China's vice foreign minister, with Malaysia's Ambassador to China Iskandar Sarudin).
“Now we have no news, and everyone is understandably worried. The relatives say they will go to the [Malaysian] embassy to find the ambassador,'' said Wen Wancheng, whose son was aboard the missing Beijing-bound flight. Wen was referring to envoy Iskandar Sarudin.
“The Malaysian ambassador should be presenting himself here. But he's not,'' Wen said, updating reporters after a regular meeting between Malaysia Airlines officials and family members at the Metropark Lido Hotel in Beijing.
“Relatives are very unsatisfied. So you hear them saying ‘hunger strike,’’’ added the 63-year-old from the eastern province of Shandong. The search has entered the 11th day.
Two-thirds of the passengers on the flight carrying 239, were Chinese.
Outside the meeting room, a woman clutching a placard reading “Respect life. Give us back our families'' told reporters that the relatives were going on hunger strike.
She declined to say how many were doing so, or give her name.
“Since they haven't given us the truth about those people's lives, all of us are protesting,'' the woman said furiously.
“All the relatives are facing mental breakdowns,'' she added.
Wen also said some of the relatives had stopped going to the meetings, given how long they had been waiting for information.
“It doesn't mean giving up,'' he added. “It's normal to return home. Like me, I have been out for a long time.''—AFP

   
Other China breaking news:
WeChat closes, suspends hundreds of accounts (08-29 18:26)
Former Hohhot vice mayor sentenced to death (08-29 15:25)
Taiwanese actor apologizes over drug use (08-29 15:03)
Guizhou landslide toll rises to 15: report (08-29 10:57)
Former Guangxi official stands trial (08-28 18:16)
China vows to respond to US surveillance flights (08-28 17:59)
Chinese courts to be open to foreigners (08-28 17:17)
8 killed after bus plunges into valley (08-28 14:24)
Shanxi provincial officials removed from posts (08-28 11:42)
6 dead, 21 missing in Guizhou landslide (08-28 11:18)

More breaking news >>

© 2014 The Standard, The Standard Newspapers Publishing Ltd.
Contact Us | About Us | Newsfeeds | Subscriptions | Print Ad. | Online Ad. | Street Pts

 


Home | Top News | Local | Business | China | ViewPoint | CityTalk | World | Sports | People | Central Station | Spree | Features

The Standard

Trademark and Copyright Notice: Copyright 2014, The Standard Newspaper Publishing Ltd., and its related entities. All rights reserved.  Use in whole or part of this site's content is prohibited.   Use of this Web site assumes acceptance of the
Terms of Use, Privacy Policy Statement and Copyright Policy.  Please also read our Ethics Statement.