Tuesday, September 2, 2014   

(Flight MH370) Malaysians suspect coverup by inept officials
(03-12 13:51)

Concern for people on board a missing Malaysia Airlines Boeing 777 swung to mounting outrage and suspicion in Malaysia as critics took aim at officials for a “chaotic lack of coordination'' in their response.
(Pictured, Malaysia’s Acting Minister of Transport Hishamuddin Hussein, third from left, huddles with chief of the Armed Forces of Malaysia Zulkifeli Mohd Zin, fourth from left, pouring over maps in Selangor state, Malaysia. Hishamuddin is also the defense minister).
“The mood among Malaysians now is moving from patience in the search for the 239 people aboard the missing flight MH370 to embarrassment and anger,'' local news website Malaysian Insider said in a commentary.
Flight MH370 operated by the state owned, loss-making carrier vanished early Saturday on an overnight flight from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing.
“I'm upset that even with the effort of our country and a few other countries, that .... not a single piece of the flight has shown up or been made public by Malaysia Airlines,'' said Syed Faris Hakem, 26, a Kuala Lumpur office worker.
“I personally think that they might be covering it up but not sure what's the reason behind it. This is all due to the lack of and contradicting information,'' he said, reflecting the sentiment of growing numbers of Malaysians.
Social media has crackled with expressions of concern and hope for the safety of the missing passengers and crew, which include 38 Malaysians.
But the mood has begun to turn after the latest confusing report regarding the search added to mounting frustration.
Malaysia's air force chief General Rodzali Daud denied today an earlier report which quoted him as saying the plane had been detected by military radar far from its planned flight path.
He said he was misquoted, but it followed a string of developments casting question on authorities' grasp of the situation.
“I think govt is lying about flt chg of course, wild goose chase,'' a Twitter post said.
In a blog post, industry magazine Flightglobal's operations and safety editor David Learmount said there was an “all-pervasive sense of a chaotic lack of coordination'' in Malaysia's search efforts.

   
Other China breaking news:
Shanxi official faces graft probe (09-01 15:18)
Two killed in knife attack at Hubei school (09-01 15:11)
12 missing after Chongqing landslide (09-01 12:11)
WeChat closes, suspends hundreds of accounts (08-29 18:26)
Former Hohhot vice mayor sentenced to death (08-29 15:25)
Taiwanese actor apologizes over drug use (08-29 15:03)
Guizhou landslide toll rises to 15: report (08-29 10:57)
Former Guangxi official stands trial (08-28 18:16)
China vows to respond to US surveillance flights (08-28 17:59)
Chinese courts to be open to foreigners (08-28 17:17)

More breaking news >>

© 2014 The Standard, The Standard Newspapers Publishing Ltd.
Contact Us | About Us | Newsfeeds | Subscriptions | Print Ad. | Online Ad. | Street Pts

 


Home | Top News | Local | Business | China | ViewPoint | CityTalk | World | Sports | People | Central Station | Spree | Features

The Standard

Trademark and Copyright Notice: Copyright 2014, The Standard Newspaper Publishing Ltd., and its related entities. All rights reserved.  Use in whole or part of this site's content is prohibited.   Use of this Web site assumes acceptance of the
Terms of Use, Privacy Policy Statement and Copyright Policy.  Please also read our Ethics Statement.